In a press conference Saturday, Melvindale Police Chief Chad Hayse confirmed that alcohol was a factor in what caused a large gas explosion at a DTE Energy training facility.
Hayse said the driver, a 24-year-old male is from Melvindale. Hayse said that the accident was a single vehicle crash involving the 24-year-old man, however he was not the only car initially near the scene of the explosion.
According to police, the suspected drunk driver was being followed by a friend when the driver ran off of the road way, went through a containment fence at the center and struck a natural gas line.
The alleged drunk driver then was pulled from his burning vehicle by his friend and was taken to Beaumont Dearborn where he is currently in stable condition. The man has burns to his body but is coherent and is talking to detectives according to police.
Officials also said that there were no other injuries, thanks in large part to the rapid response of all the first responders who were on-scene.
DTE has released the following statement:
Safety of the surrounding community, it's residents and our employees are the top priority for the company. Authorities have extinguished the fire that resulted when a car broke through protective barriers and struck a natural gas main. We understand the local evacuation has been lifted.