DETROIT (WJBK) -
A tragic accident kills four men on Detroit's west side - a generator was running on the outside, filling the facility with gas.
"I’m in total disbelief," said Mardy Woods. "Because in 2016 I've lost six family members."
Woods found out he also lost his brother, Todd Colbert who owned the business on Fenkell in Detroit
"He was starting to turn everything around," Woods said. "He was on his way. He worked at GM and took buy out and bought his own business."
Police say Colbert and three other men were discovered Wednesday afternoon inside the shop. The investigation is still ongoing but it's believed the men died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
"It appears that there were four adult males operating a generator inside the building," said Cmdr. Nick Kyriacou, DPD. "There is no normal power hook-up inside. What we see is a generator that's been tapped into the power system in the location. The preliminary presumption at this point is that they may have succumbed to the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning."
"Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless and it sneaks up on you," said Deputy Commissioner David Fornell, Detroit Fire Department. "As it builds up in your body, it's cumulative. As it builds up in your body, you just get drowsy."
The victim's brother says he can't believe something so devastating would happen at his brother's business because he always took safety precautions
"He knew to open up the vents," Woods said. "For some reason, I don't understand why he didn't today."
Lisa Weldon says her good friend; Keith Byrd was also inside the building.
"They were all in there having drinks and carbon monoxide must have killed them," she said.
Weldon says Byrd had been missing since Monday and his family became concerned.
Woods says he wants this incident to send a strong message to others
"It wasn't a good thing to lock yourself in with carbon monoxide," he said.