LINCOLN PARK, Mich. (WJBK) - A woman's car burst into flames-- while she's parked in the drive-thru of her bank.
Her car was so close to the wall, she couldn't open her door to escape, luckily a police officer came to the rescue.
Early morning flames could be seen from businesses up and down Fort Street in Lincoln Park.
"Our branch staff noticed the vehicle on fire out of the drive thru window and called 911," said Donna Reid, chief marketing officer Credit Union
Somehow an SUV parked at a drive-up ATM at Credit Union One caught fire with a 71-year-old woman still behind the wheel.
She had parked so close to the building to reach the ATM key pad, she couldn't open her door during the fire, trapping her. She had to wait until help came.
Help initially came from a passerby who told FOX 2 off camera the fire caused the power locks of the SUV to malfunction, trapping her inside despite the best efforts to get her out.
"They really had a hard time breaking that window out," Reid said.
During the struggle to get her out, the fire continued to burn so hot it destroyed the ATM. Luckily for her, Lincoln Park police officer Joseph Sparks was nearby and helped the Good Samaritan.
"The passerby was able to break out the passenger window and pull her to safety and get her away," Reid said.
From there the woman was taken to the hospital as a precaution for smoke inhalation. Firefighters and police are still working to figure out what started the fire in the first place.
The drive-up ATM will be out of commission but the branch next door along with the Woodhaven location will be open for customers in the meantime.