They are a staple of the holiday season, but that Christmas tree in your living room is a serious safety hazard.
But there are things you can do to protect your family, according to Detroit's fire experts.
Once that real tree is inside your home, it could go from a lovely centerpiece to a potentially deadly danger for you and your family.
Firefighters say this tragedy could be avoided by following a few simple tips.
"It's okay to have a live tree but have to water it everyday," said Capt. Christopher Dixon. "Dry trees when associated with electrical problems in your home can go up in minutes."
But taking care of the tree is just one step in preventing a fire.
Take a look around this room - Dixon says there are dangers lurking that could cause your tree to up in flames in a matter of minutes.
"We have space heater that's too close to presents," he said. "Turn lights off when you leave or go to sleep, don't leave candles unattended."
And don't forget to monitor your pet.
"They could pull your tree down, pull it down on top of a candle or space heater so you want to avoid having pets around tree," Dixon said.
No matter what time of the year, fire officials encourage you to always have working smoke detectors in your home and have a fire escape plan.
They also want you to make sure your holiday tree is not blocking an exit.
Even in our homes most fires occur after 12:00 a.m. at night. Trying to get out the house and a Christmas tree is blocking the exit is a hazard.