(WJBK) - A fourth grade student from Saginaw has died over the weekend after a possible case of meningitis.
We don't know how the student from Arthur Eddy Academy may have developed the illness but the school is closed Monday. Crews spent the weekend sanitizing classrooms and common areas.
The staff is also utilizing the off day to prepare grief counseling for students when they return to school tomorrow.
Meningitis is a rare infection that affects the brain and spinal cord. It's usually caused by a bacterial or viral infection that began elsewhere in the body, such as in the ears, sinuses or upper respiratory tract.
Bacterial meningitis is considered rare and potentially life threatening. Both types are contagious among people in close contact.