Firefighters save family dog during house blaze

The family made it outside the house, but their beloved pet was trapped inside.

- (Jan. 5 UPDATE) The family now has a GoFundMe page which can be found at the bottom of the story.

Its Detroit firefighters to the rescue after a home goes up in flames on the city's west side.

All of the people inside got out safely, but the family pet was trapped.

Firefighters battled the flames and the freezing cold at an Inverness house on Detroit's west side. The fire started in the back while the family was gone but it's not clear how.

The only thing certain is their grief: "I don't have a home," said Myisha Patterson.

A teardrop and a tender hug for Patterson, 29.  It feels like all is lost for her 10-year-old daughter Iman and other loved ones.

"This is my house," she said. "I have a daughter - I take care of my mom and my baby sister. I have nothing now."

Myisha was at a relative's home when she got a call from her aunt who lives across the street.

Aunt Phyllis Butler had already been to the home to try to save the family pet - a Shih Tzu named Tiffany

"I could see flames going around the door," Butler said.  "I wouldn't try to open it up but I could hear her barking."

But she couldn't save the pup - it would take Detroit firefighters to do that.

"I have the best fire department in the world," said Battalion Chief Michael Jefferson. "We were able to rescue the dog for the little girl so that makes this tragedy feel a little bit better."

"The house is destroyed but at least they got the dog out and everybody else is okay so we're thankful for," Butler said.

Myisha agrees and through the shock and the sadness, she is grateful.

"Thank God, everybody's alive," Patterson said.

Fortunately the family does have relatives and we're reaching out to the Red Cross for additional help.

Hoping this hard-working housekeeper and homeowner - will have another place for her family to call home, real soon.

"It's devastating for the family but you can see they're across the street and they're safe," Jefferson said. "All these material things can be replaced."

If you would like to donate to the family, CLICK HERE to go to their GoFundMe page.

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories