Family evacuated from home after dangerous carbon monoxide leak

A home was evacuated after officials found potentially deadly levels of carbon monoxide.

Twelve people were evacuated from their home after officials found dangerous carbon monoxide levels inside.

Fire crews arrived at the home on Hazelridge Street early Tuesday morning after someone inside the home called to report they were feeling lightheaded.

Six adults and six children were evacuated.

Officials believe a furnace may have been the source of the dangerous gas. The levels read at over 30 parts per million, which can be deadly. 

Detroit Fire Department Captain Christopher Dixon said there are multiple ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Make sure your dryer units are sealed properly to the outside, furnace units are sealed properly even carbon monoxide detector in the home are a great idea," he said.

A sign was placed outside the home letting family members know to stay out of the house until the home has been checked and deemed safe.


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories