To accommodate motorists traveling throughout Michigan over the Labor Day holiday weekend, the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) will remove traffic restrictions on 114 of 155 active projects statewide.
AAA Michigan estimates 1.2 million travelers will be using Michigan roads and bridges during the last summer holiday weekend.
Beginning at 3 p.m. Friday, Sept. 4, until 6 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 8, MDOT will suspend construction wherever possible on state roads and bridges. State roads are designated as I, M and US routes. While construction zones may be closed for the weekend, motorists are advised that equipment and temporary traffic configurations, like minor shifts, may remain in place, requiring motorists to adjust their speed and pay attention.
"For many of us, this is our last chance to embrace the waning summer before school starts and autumn takes a colorful hold of the Great Lakes State," said State Transportation Director Kirk T. Steudle. "Remember to remain focused and alert at all times, especially through work zones. Another key to staying safe is to be informed. You can see what's ahead of you before you even leave the driveway with MDOT's free Mi Drive app."
Downloaded more than 56,000 times from Google Play and iTunes, MDOT's popular free Mi Drive app provides traffic incident alerts, live traffic webcams, and additional construction information. The Mi Drive website also remains available at www.michigan.gov/drive.
MDOT maintains and oversees nearly 10,000 miles of state highways, which carry more than 50 percent of all passenger traffic and approximately 70 percent of commercial traffic in Michigan.
The following 41 work zones will have active traffic restrictions in place during the Labor Day holiday weekend:
‐ I‐75 Business Spur in Sault Ste. Marie, Chippewa County, has a detour in effect from Easterday Avenue to Sheridan Drive for truck traffic but will have one lane open in each direction for passenger vehicles.
‐ M‐35, Marquette County, has one lane open over Warner Creek under a temporary traffic signal.
‐ M‐38, Houghton County, has one lane open at the Silver River bridge under a temporary traffic signal.
‐ US‐2, Delta County, has two lanes open over the Ogontz River with a temporary bridge and roadway.
‐ US‐2 in Ironwood, Gogebic County, has a posted detour in effect for westbound traffic.
‐ US‐45, Ontonagon County, has one lane open over the Baltimore River under a temporary traffic signal.
For more information, contact Dan Weingarten, Superior Region Communications Representative, at 906-250-4809.
Northern Lower Peninsula
‐ M‐72 in Acme Township, Grand Traverse County, will have traffic shifts in place with one lane open in each direction. No oversized loads.
‐ US‐31 in Petoskey, Emmet County, will have traffic shifts between Eppler and Camp Daggett roads.
- US-31, Emmet County, is closed to through-traffic north of Alanson. Detour on local roads; alternate route on M-68 and I-75.
- L Drive North in Marshall Township, Calhoun County, has one lane open on the bridge over I‐69 under temporary signals.
‐ Sprinkle Road in Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, has one lane open in each direction over I‐94.
- I‐94 Business Loop (Columbia Avenue) in Battle Creek, Calhoun County, is closed at I-94 Exit 92 and detoured.
‐ I‐94 Business Loop (Stadium Drive) in Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, has one lane open in each direction at US‐131.
‐ M‐60 in Mendon, St. Joseph County, has a posted detour for westbound traffic.
- M‐139 in Niles, Cass County, is closed over the St. Joseph River with a posted detour.
For more information, contact Nick Schirripa, Southwest Region Communications Representative, at 269-208-7829.
Central Michigan and Thumb Area
- I-69, Genesee County, has lane closures from Dort Highway to Center Road. Lane closures also in effect on M-54, Averill Avenue and Center Road.
- I-75, Bay County, will have shoulder closures at the US-10 interchange. The northbound I-75 ramp to westbound US-10 is closed.
- I-75, Saginaw County, will have lane shifts from Dixie Highway to Hess Road.
- M-15 in Davison, Genesee County, has one lane open in each direction from Davison Road to Potter Road.
- M-15 in Vassar, Tuscola County, has one lane open on the bridge over the Cass River under temporary signals.
- M-24 in Lapeer, Lapeer County, has one lane open in each direction from Demille Boulevard to Nepessing Street. Traffic detoured at Farmers Creek.
- M-46, Saginaw County, will have single-lane closures from Gaslight Lane to Thomas Road.
- M-90, Sanilac County, has one lane open in each direction over Potts Drain east of the village of Peck under a temporary signal.
- US-127 Business Route (Alger Road), Gratiot County, is closed to all through-traffic. Detour: Cheesman Road, Begole Road, M-46, and Jefferson Road. US-127 will have all lanes open.
- US-10, Bay County, has one lane closed in each direction at the I-75 interchange. The westbound US-10 ramp to southbound I-75 is closed.
- US-10 Business Route (Eastman Avenue), in Midland, Midland County, has one lane open in each direction between Indian and Saginaw roads.
- I-75, Monroe County, has two lanes open in each direction between I-275 and Dixie Highway.
- M-43, Eaton County, is closed and detoured at Oneida Road, west of Grand Ledge.
- M-100 in Potterville, Eaton County, has one lane open under a temporary signal just north of downtown.
- US-23/I-96, Livingston County, has a traffic shift in place at the interchange. All lanes open on I-96 and US-23.
For more information, contact Kari Arend, University Region Communications Representative, at 517-206-1609.
- University Drive is closed over I-75.
- I-75 has two lanes open at 13 Mile Road for bridge work under the freeway.
- I-94 will have the ramps to and from Merriman Road closed for repair.
- M-1 Rail work continues in downtown Detroit, with the following in effect:
- I-94 has a traffic shift in place,
- I-75 has three lanes open, and
- M-1 (Woodward Avenue) has three lanes open.
- M-10 (Lodge Freeway) has lane closures on the service drive from Meyers Road to McNichols Road for retaining wall work.
- M-39 (Southfield Freeway) will have service drive closures at Joy Road.
- M-85 (Fort Street) remains closed over the Rouge River for bridge work.
- M-53 has two lanes open between 15 Mile Road and 18 Mile Road.
St. Clair County
- Michigan Road remains closed over I-94 for bridge work.
- I-69 has one lane open in each direction between M-19 and Taylor Road.
- I-94/I-69 interchange has multiple lane closures for bridge work.
For more information, contact Diane Cross, Metro Region Communications Representative, at 248-752-0336.