All charges dismissed, man no longer a suspect in WSU officer's death

- Murder charges against a man suspected in connection with the death of a Wayne State University police officer were officially dismissed Wednesday morning.

Prosecutor Kym Worthy announced the update in Sgt. Collin Rose's case during a news conference with Detroit Police Chief James Craig and WSU Chief Anthony Holt. She said DeAngelo Davis is no longer a suspect.

Prosecutor Worthy did not elaborate on why the charges have been dismissed against Davis, though a source told FOX 2 last night that investigators do not have enough evidence in the murder.

Davis, 31, had been charged with first-degree murder, felony firearm, murder of a police officer, felony firearm, and felon in possession of a firearm. He had been jailed without bond since his arrest the night of the shooting, and his pretrial conference was scheduled to begin Friday. 

Police chiefs Craig and Holt said their teams have been working round-the-clock to bring justice in this case. The team did not take any questions after the announcement.

Rose was investigating possible thefts of navigation systems from cars on November 22 when he radioed that he was about to speak to someone on a bike. Rose was shot in the head during the stop at Brainard and Lincoln, an area off campus where Wayne State Police Chief Holt says many students and some officers live.

Officers who arrived on the scene for backup found Rose injured on the ground. An officer immediately took Rose to the hospital, where he went into surgery. He pulled through surgery but remained in grave condition and was on a ventilator before passing away November 23.

Also on Wednesday morning, the ATF announced it is increasing a reward for information on Rose's death. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) was previously offering a $5,000 reward, but has increased the reward to $15,000 thanks to an anonymous donor with the Detroit Dog Rescue, where Rose's fiance is a staff member.

Rose, originally from the Kalamazoo area, was a 5-year veteran and worked as a canine handler. He was promoted to sergeant at a vigil at Wayne State University before his funeral.

Hundreds attended his funeral at St. Joan of Arc church in St. Clair Shores on Dec. 1.

In a final act of selflessness, Rose, who donated his organ and tissue to others, helped an estimated 75 people.

If you have information about what happened the night Rose was shot, you're asked to call 1-800-ATF-GUNS. You can leave your information anonymously. 

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories