DETROIT (WJBK) - Officials have a released a list of specific dates and times the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel will close for renovations this fall.
The first closure is beginning tonight, Friday, October 20 at 8 p.m. It will be closed for 10 days straight, re-opening at 5:30 a.m. on Monday, October 30.
With renovations already underway, the $21.6 million project is expected to be completed by June 2018.
Modifications so far have included electrical work and masonry, and the next goal is to replace the concrete ceiling.
- Oct. 20-30 - The tunnel will be closed from 8 p.m. Oct 20 through 5:30 a.m. Oct 30.
- Oct. 30-Nov. 22: The tunnel will be closed 8 p.m.-5:30 a.m. Sunday-Thursday.
- Nov. 23-26: The tunnel will be open to traffic.
- Nov. 27-Dec. 23: The tunnel will be closed 8 p.m.- 5:30 a.m. Sunday-Thursday.
- Dec. 23- Jan. 1, 2018: The tunnel will be open to traffic.
- Jan. 2- mid-June: The tunnel will be closed from 8 p.m.- 5:30 a.m. Sunday-Thursday.
Authorities say the weeknight closures will cause the least disruption for the 12,000 people that use the crossing. Travelers can also check www.dwtunnel.com for real-time updates and traffic information.
“We look forward to continuing to serve as the premier gateway to Windsor and Detroit for years to come, and this work will help us to do just that,” said Neal Belitsky, president of the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel, in a release. “The need for this renovation project is a natural occurrence in the life of an underwater tunnel and the next step in our continued maintenance and improvement of this vital international asset.”