(WJBK) - A date has been set to determine if there's enough evidence against two Macomb County teens accused of killing and dismembering a young man.
Accused of in the death of 19-year-old Stephen McAfee, Andrew Fiacco, 19, is facing charges of first-degree murder, felony firearm, mutilating a body and lying to police, and 18-year-old Eevette Macdonald has been charged with accessory and mutilation.
Both appeared in Macomb County court on Wednesday.
- Lawyer: Macomb County murder suspect was friends with victim, both mentally ill
- Macomb County teens accused of killing, dismembering man appear in court
- Alleged killer confesses, leads police to dismembered body in Macomb County
- Remains of missing man dug up from shallow grave in Ray Twp
McAfee had been missing for over a year when his remains were found at two different locations in Macomb County.
Fiacco confessed to killing him during police interrogation, and lead police to the two sites where parts of the dismembered body were buried.
"Based on how the body was recovered, it needed to be sent to Michigan State University for the anthropologists do their required work. Once that was done the remains were returned and turned over to the family, at which point we've been waiting for that report," said Bill Cataldo, chief of homicide with the Macomb County prosecutor's office.
Prosecutors believe the autopsy report is the most important piece of evidence and say it is expected to be completed by the end of the week.
They also gave an update on other pieces of the case.
"There are video taped interviews with both defendents as well as other witnesses, as well as video from the walk that the defend and the officers took to the scene," Cataldo said.
The preliminary exam was scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Aug. 16.