Man suspected in graffiti threat against James Craig re-arrested

The man police say spray painted threats against Detroit Police and chief James Craig has been re-arrested on multiple charges, including terrorism.

Stuart Lewis, 49, was re-arrested on Monday after he was released from Wayne County custody over the weeked. Lewis told FOX 2 on Friday that he's not responsible for the death threat that was spray painted on a building near his home at Exeter and State Fair.

The graffiti read "Kill all police. Kill James Craig".

On Friday, Lewis was arrested and accused of making a terrorist threat. At the time of his arrest, Craig said that it would serve as a message that you can't threaten police.

Lewis was released and on Sunday he complained about the police, claiming they ransacked his home and killed his dog when he was arrested.

"They didn't have nothing against me," Lewis said. They flash-bombed my house, which burned me (on my arm). My dog was shot dead while running away. I was talked to and treated wrongfully."

Lewis was adamant that he didn't do it but police were certain they had the right guy, saying that he was arrested for tagging the same building last year. The handwriting looks familiar and sources say they had incriminating statements from his girlfriend.

So, why would Lewis have been released?

"'Kill all police. Kill James Craig.' I don't know how more specific that threat can be," Craig said.

On Monday, a clearly annoyed chief Craig talked about the graffiti and arrest.

By law, Lewis could only be held for 48 hours without being charged. Td the assistant prosecutor in charge of the case wanted more clarification on the evidence, so Lewis was let go pending further review. His release had Craig furious.

"In my judgement, this was sub-standard work - on the part of this prosecutor - sub-standard," Craig said.

On Monday, that same assistant prosecutor issued a warrant that charges Lewis with terrorism - a 20-year felony - possession with intent to deliver marijuana and malicious destruction of a building.

Craig said they had the right guy - the first time.

"When we arrested the suspect we arrested the right person - and now we're going out to re-arrest him," Craig said.

That's exactly what they did, arresting him at his home again on Monday.

Lewis is expected to be arraigned tuesday.

Police are taking his complaint about his arrest but say they did what they said was necessary to arrest him.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories