DETROIT (WJBK) - A Lincoln Park man is scheduled to be sentenced Monday for killing a Detroit police officer while high on crack.
Steven Guzina is charged with second-degree murder, operating while intoxicated (OWI) causing death, OWI causing serious bodily injury, failure to stop at scene of accident when at fault resulting in death, reckless driving causing death, and reckless driving causing serious impairment of a body function.
FOX 2 News Now will stream the sentencing LIVE on Facebook. CLICK HERE TO WATCH
He will go before Judge Timothy Kenny today in Wayne Circuit Court.
- Jan. 13, 2017 - Fallen DPD officer Myron Jarrett honored with memorial marker
- Dec. 6, 2016 - Testimony: Man accused of killing DPD officer Myron Jarrett smoked crack in crash
- Nov. 4, 2016 - Detroit Police prepares to say goodbye to Officer Myron Jarrett
- Nov. 1, 2016 - Funeral arrangements set for DPD officer Myron Jarrett killed in hit and run
- Oct. 31, 2016 - Man charged with murder after death of Detroit Officer Jarrett
Guzina entered a no contest plea on July 28 to crashing into 40-year-old Officer Myron Jarrett as he was working an accident scene at Monica and Puritan in late October 2016. High on crack cocaine, Guzina struck Jarrett with his car and fled the scene on foot. He was arrested after a manhunt with DPD, Michigan State Police and canine officers.
Jarrett later died from his injuries at Sinai Grace Hospital. He was an eight-year veteran of the force and from the 12th Precinct.
"He was an outstanding officer," said Chief James Craig. "Everyone I've talked to from his family, his wife, great father, to the officers a great mentor, a friend certainly to the community. This is someone who deeply cared not only for the work and the difference he was making - but the community loved him."
This story is developing. Stay with FOX 2 for updates as more information becomes available.
- Oct. 31, 2016 - Man charged with killing Detroit police officer in crash while smoking crack
- Oct. 30, 2016 - Police release video of second suspect in Detroit officer's death
- Oct. 29, 2016 - Detroit police officer killed after being run down on traffic stop
- Oct. 29, 2016 - Slain Detroit officer identified, suspect in custody