Marine suffering from PTSD killed by police

Fox 2 spoke to the widow and father-in-law of Colton Puckett about the tragedy that happened on Sunhill Drive in Waterford. During their emotional interviews, they wanted to make the point that Colton Puckett was a good man who suffered from PTSD. He was shot and killed by police after he went on a violent rampage.
"I don't want anybody to think he was some sort of crazy person, because he was not. That's not him at all," said Kristen Puckett, Colton’s widow.

Tragedy struck at the home in the 2000 block of Sunhill Drive at 3:05 a.m. Thursday. Waterford Police received a 911 call. Kristen Puckett told the dispatcher she took her son away from the property after she was assaulted by her husband. 

"He just started snapping and smashing things, and turned his sights on to my daughter," said Kurt Helcer, Colton’s father-in-law.

"Threw her on the ground, was punching her while she was trying to protect the baby, Adin."

"Physically, I'm alright. I have some bumps and bruises, and I got my son out. He doesn't have a scratch or anything on him," said Kristen.

Police came to the home and made contact with Colton Puckett. During the conversations, he threatened to kill the officers, burn down his house, and kill himself.

When officers heard a gunshot in the house, they made contact again by phone. No one had been harmed.

As SWAT surrounded the area, Colton Puckett came outside the house with a long shotgun and charged at police when he was shot. 

The Marine veteran later died at the hospital.

"He was a good man. He was hard working. He was so loving. He always told people after Afghanistan, it was because of me," said Kristen.

"It wasn't him," said Helcher.

Puckett’s widow and father-in-law say he suffered from PTSD and had been seeking treatment. They did everything they could for him, but the 28-year-old needed more help from the mental trauma he endured while serving his country.

"Afghanistan, Iraq. I did one tour in Iraq and one tour in Afghanistan. The people really don't know what happened. I got stories from him, he would tell me, and I would try to relate, but you can't,” said Helcher.

The family says this tragedy is an example of how extreme the condition can be, and needs to serve as a wakeup call for the government to do more.

"The VA really needs to step up their help. I know they tried to help him. I don't know how they can, but they need to step it up," said Helcher.

"My daughter is without a husband. My grandson is without a father. They just need to step it up."

"He loved that boy with every ounce, he loved us both, and we loved him equally," said Kristen.

Family members came back to the house Thursday afternoon to clean and board up the house. Kristen Puckett says she will most likely not come back to the home she shared with her husband.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories