Nearly a year later, 15 Mile reopens at site of massive sinkhole in Fraser

- It's been nearly a year since homes were damaged in Fraser from a massive sinkhole. 

The sewer system has since been repaired, and the hole has been filled. Tuesday, the final piece of the puzzle is complete -- 15 Mile Road is now back open to traffic.  

A ribbon-cutting took place at the site of the collapse before it reopened Tuesday morning. Macomb County Public Works Commissioner Candice Miller credited engineers, construction crews and others for their contributions.

The county says it's the last major step in the completion of the $75 million repair project.

Sewage earlier began flowing again through the major interceptor line and officials marked the milestone during a September ceremony.

The line 60 feet below ground serves roughly 500,000 Macomb County residents.

Families from roughly two dozen homes were displaced on Christmas Eve last year for about three weeks after the collapse and three houses were condemned. Miller says those properties were bought out by the county to avoid litigation, and to make things right for the homeowners. 

FOX 2's Josh Landon was at the ribbon-cutting Tuesday. You can hear more from him in the video player above. 

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories