Southfield drunk driving suspect who killed 2 women gets $1M bond

- A horrific crash in Southfield kills two young women and the man accused of crashing the car they were riding in, appeared before a judge.

Prosecutors say 20-year-old Armond Humes was drunk when he crashed his car and left the scene of that deadly accident.

The rollover crash killed his passengers and friends from Southfield High School - Marcia Gingles, 21, and Tyana Bryant, 20. 

"He killed two people and he walked away," said Ayana Rashad, Tyana's grandmother. "I have no sympathy for him, I have no sympathy for his mother - I have none. My granddaughter is dead and she is never coming back."

It happened Tuesday, just after 6 a.m. at Berg Road just north of Civic Center Drive. In court police asked for a high bond for Armond Humes - a man they called a menace to society.

"The defendant did admit to driving the vehicle at the time of the accident, the defendant did admit to consuming alcohol and smoking marijuana," said Det. Scott Dickey, Southfield police. "The defendant fled the scene of the accident and hid from law enforcement at his mother's house."

The mother of Tyana Bryant sobbed in court as Humes was charged - and Humes himself, appeared to wipe away tears.

His attorney told the magistrate that Humes crashed the car and called his family only to find out his mother was having a medical emergency related to her epilepsy - and that's why he left the scene of the accident - to go home to her.

"Someone from the home area actually called the police so they could know where he was, so he could turn himself in," said David Cripps, Humes' defense attorney. "He started making statements to the police right when they arrived, describing to police about what just occurred."

But the judge said that wasn't enough to warrant a low bond - citing a reckless driving charge for Humes from earlier this year and now this deadly crash - where his preliminary breath test indicated a blood alcohol content of .185.

The court set the bond at $1 million.

"I can appreciate the fact that the judge set a high bond," said Tywan Bryant, Tyana's father. "But there is no sentence, there is nothing that can be done that is going to make it right." 

Outside the court the family of Tyana was distraught but vowing to get justice for their daughter - an Eastern Michigan University student who wanted to become a veterinarian - which was her dream since she was just 2 years old.

"She was loved - and she was an incredible young lady and she wanted to be a veterinarian," said Kizzy Dickerson, Tyana's mother. "She wanted to open up an animal hospital. There were so many things she wanted to do. And we just feel like we were robbed."

If you'd like to make a donation to Tyana's family to help with her burial costs, you can do so via the family's GoFundMe account here.  

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories