Standoff on I-75 ends after 6 hours, man arrested

- If you or a loved one is feeling distressed, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. The crisis center provides free and confidential emotional support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to civilians and veterans. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. Or text to 741-741

CLICK HERE for the warning signs and risk factors of suicide. Call 1-800-273-TALK for free and confidential emotional support.


I-75 in Monroe County was shut down for six hours Thursday as police convinced a man who was threatening suicide to put down a weapon. Oakland County deputies tried to check on the man when he threatened to take his own life. When they made contact with him, he ran from the deputies and even streamed his pursuit on Facebook.

"They did a welfare check at the subject's resident and couldn't locate him. They were able to locate him in his vehicle a short distance away and attempted to make a traffic stop on him and the suspect fled from there," Michigan State Police Lt. Tony Cuevas said.

During the drive down I-75, the 37-year-old man made threats against himself and police.

"The suspect was using the Facebook Live app to say his intentions. He was intent on killing himself, on hurting law enforcement, and hurting members of the general public," Cuevas said.

Spike sticks were dropped on the road to stop the man from getting to Ohio. I-75 was closed for hours between Luna Pier and South Otter Creek near the Ohio border as police tried to negotiate a peaceful end.

Hours-long standoff on I-75 ends, suspect safely in custody

James Smith lives near that area and could see it all unfold.

"I watched him come all the way down to the bridge and that's when I heard them try to get him out of the vehicle, they were yelling for him to surrender and he wouldn't," Smith said.

Cuevas said the man's car made it hard for them to see exactly what was happening inside.

"That vehicle had tinted windows so we couldn't see inside the vehicle. Our troopers on scene know to treat it as a barricaded gunman situation at that time."

For hours, authorities negotiated with the man and closed the highway in both directions. The nearest cars were two miles away and onlookers were asked to keep out of sight.

"During that long dialogue, touched a nerve with that guy and he probably thought about his family than about himself and decided to peacefully surrender," Cuevas said.

Just before noon, police said he threw his gun down and gave up peacefully.

"He will be medically evaluated and then transported to the Monroe County Jail where he will face felony charges," Cuevas said.

The charges include fleeing and evading and resisting arrest - plus more charges could be filed in Oakland County, too.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories