(WJBK) - A student threat caused a lockdown at several Macomb County schools Tuesday. The schools were put on alert after a threat was made by a middle school student. It is the second time this week the district has dealt with a threat.
A 13-year-old is in Macomb County's juvenile justice center after sheriff deputies say he sent a threatening text message to his ex-girlfriend. Also mentioned in the text was L'Anse Creuse Central Middle School.
"It was more of a vague-type threat," Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said. "That he was going to beat up a new boyfriend, shoot up the school type-thing, actually take out the whole township, he said.
It included the Marie C. Graham Elementary School and L’Anse Creuse High School.
Students from L' Anse Creuse High School say the lockdown lasted for about an hour.
That safety scare came a day after a number of parents kept their students home from L' Anse Creuse North High School after the online rumor mill on social media stirred up a concerns over a debunked threat made by different students in mid-November.
"We vetted that threat we investigated it," Wickersham said. "We interviewed the boys, we searched their homes. The school took action and suspended them. We know we did our job."
And even though investigators found the student was not able to carry out the threat involving the middle school, parents are still peeved.
"It is a crime. It's a crime they almost should be treated like an adult to at least show them this is a consequential thing," said one father.
That won't be the case for the students involved in the L' Anse Creuse North High School threat, it may be for the student involved in Tuesday's scare.
"It's a threat using an electronic device, possibly a domestic terrorism type-charge, but again, being 13 years old, we take it serious. We'll present to the prosecutor and see what kind of petition we get from them."
The L' Anse Creuse school district says the students’ parents were notified and all of their students are safe.
It is also conducting its own investigation for disciplinary reasons.
A letter sent to parents explained the lock down situation:
December 8, 2015
Earlier this afternoon, administration was notified of a potential threat involving L’Anse Creuse Middle School - Central. The building was immediately locked down and the Macomb County Sheriff’s Department was notified. As a precautionary measure, the L’Anse Creuse Early Childhood Center, Marie C. Graham Elementary School, L’Anse Creuse High School, the Frederick V. Pankow Center and the DiAnne M. Pellerin Center were all placed on lockdown.
Shortly after the initial report, the Sheriff’s Department took the L’Anse Creuse students involved into custody. These students were not in attendance today. Schools then resumed regular operations and all scheduled after school activities will occur.
The threat was originally vague and then was narrowed down to specific students at Middle School - Central. Those students’ parents have been notified and the students are safe. At this time, we have no further information.
The district will continue to work closely with the Sheriff’s Department throughout their investigation. Additionally, the district will conduct a separate investigation for disciplinary reasons.
We take this opportunity to keep you as the parent/guardian informed and want to reassure you that safety is our top priority and we treat every incident seriously.