Suspect killed in confrontation with Detroit police

- A suspect shot in a confrontation with Detroit officers Wednesday night has died from his injuries, Detroit police announced Thursday.

Detroit Police Chief James Craig says officers responded within 12 minutes around 8 p.m. to a scene in the 14900 block of Tireman at Terry Street, just east of Greenfield, there was a reported assault of a 26 year old and a 55 year old.

It was reported that a 43-year-old male suspect had threatened residents in the home with both a knife and a gun. Police say the suspect was a friend of the residents and they were drinking alcohol together at the home.

RELATED: Detroit police shoot suspect who exchanged in gunfire on west side

It is believed the confrontation may have began over an inappropriate comment the suspect made to one of the residents -- the same resident he ultimately pointed the weapon at. Police say the residents told them this was the first time the residents saw the suspect become violent and they had not seen that side of him before.

By the time police arrived at the scene, the suspect had left. Officers conducted a 20-30 minute preliminary investigation, interviewing residents, the victim of the felonious assault and some neighbors.

Craig says the two officers, one who had been with the department for about two years and the other just two weeks out of academy, were walking back to the scout car when they were informed the suspect had returned.

The police chief says the officers saw the suspect, who was on a bike and had a holstered weapon. According to the body camera footage, Craig says the officers gave several commands, including 'don't move."

Police say it appeared that with one hand on the bike, the suspect's body began to turn and that he was reaching to remove the weapon from the holster. Craig says at that time the officers believed they were facing an imminent threat. They fired numerous times, striking the suspect in the chest.

After the suspect hit the ground, they began administering first aid and applying pressure. As a back-up unit arrived, police say they placed the man in the back seat of a scout car and took him to a local hospital, where he was first reported to be in critical condition but later died from his injuries. Neither officer was injured in the encounter.

"I want to applaud their efforts but again certainly our thoughts go out to that family," Craig said.

Craig says a nickel-plated automatic weapon was found nearby that was reported lost by an elderly man a few years ago -- though police were not confirming the gun was stolen, but that was the gun in the suspect's possession.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories