Woman tackled after Detroit police chase sentenced to rehab

- The Sterling Heights woman who led police on a wild chase through Detroit and Hamtramck last month was sentenced Monday.

Valerie Matthews pleaded guilty to third-degree fleeing and eluding, which is usually a five-year felony.

The chase happened in early April and unfolded live on Fox 2 News Now, CLICK HERE to watch a replay.

On Monday morning, she learned she will avoid jail time, but her sentence was still involved. Matthews was speeding through Detroit and Hamtramck, before a brief attempt to run away. She was then tackled by officers.

RELATED: Woman arrested after police chase through Detroit, Hamtramck

The judge is sending her to a rehabilitation program for 90 to 120 days.

Matthews will also be put on probation for two years, placed on a GPS tether and have a curfew.

Her sentencing was streamed live on Fox 2 News Now, watch a replay below:

In early April, Detroit police say they received a 911 call about a possible kidnapping at Stockton and Gable streets on Detroit's east side.

The caller said they believed they heard a child screaming from inside the car.

RELATED: Officer who made tackle to end police chase shares her story

When police arrived, they saw the blue Ford transit-type van take off suspiciously and began to follow it.

Reaching high speeds, the suspect dipped in and out of busy narrow neighborhoods and even drove across lawns.

Then a Detroit officer cut her off with his car, and the suspect began to flee on foot.

She was tackled by a female officer, who received a lot of media attention for the capture.

"A Detroit officer had cut her off with his car, and I knew she was about to start fleeing on foot," Officer Nikole Jabou told Fox 2. "So I started opening my door waiting for her to flee, and right when I saw her jump out, I jumped out, and I went after her. I've never been in a running tackle. That was a first. That was fun."

Fox 2 spoke with the female officer in early April.

"I know my tackle has kind of been getting a lot of press," she said. "But really if it wasn't for the other officers involved; the officers that were involved in the leads, they called out great locations. That way we were able to get there quicker."

No one was injured in the incident.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories