New details emerge about Sen. Virgil Smith shooting incident

State Sen. Virgil Smith is still in a jail as police continue to build a case against him.

We are learning more about the victim's version of events who happens to be the ex-wife of  Smith. 

The senator, who has a criminal history, is expected to face charges of aggravated assault with a gun and malicious destruction of property.

 About  1 a.m. Sunday this man who doesn't want to be identified, says he heard the shots ring out. Moments later, a woman came running to his Detroit house on Norwood.

He didn't know who she was, but knew she needed help.

"I heard five to eight shots," he said. "She said 'I need to call the police. The guy around the corner has a gun and tried to shoot my car up, trying to kill me.' That's what she said."

That woman is Anistia Thomas, the ex-wife and girlfriend of Virgil Smith.

According to police reports, Thomas told investigators her ex-husband invited her over to his house on Wexford to stay the night. But when she arrived, she found Smith naked with another female.

They began arguing. At some point she claims Smith grabbed her by the back of her head and shoved her face into the carpet. When she stood up, Anistia claims he punched her four or five times in the face with a closed fist.

She ran out the door and he allegedly picked up a long gun and followed. She said she saw the muzzle flash three times. The suspect, Sen. Smith began firing at her but as she took off down the alley she didn't know if he was aiming at her.

But it appears he hit something. Police later found her 2015 Mercedes-Benz with multiple gunshot holes on the front including one through the windshield.

"When I found out who it was, I was like, hmm, I know the senator, he's a friend of mine," the man said. "We grew up together, I know it's not even in his character. Whatever that business is, I don't want anything to do with it."

FOX 2  learned Smith wasn't cooperative at first and didn't come out of his house to speak with investigators after it happened. Reports show when police contacted him around 8 a.m. Sunday, he refused to speak without his attorney.

With his lawyer Godfry Dillard there, he eventually admitted what he did to his ex-wife's Mercedes and was arrested.
Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories