New information revealed about ICE agent and victim in fatal shooting

More details are emerging about Terrance Kellom and the federal agent who shot him to death April 27.

Questions continue to swirl following Kellom's death in a confrontation with a Detroit fugitive arrest task force raid at a house at Evergreen and West Chicago. Kellom allegedly came at the officer with a hammer, something his family denies. 

FOX 2 has new information on the officer that allegedly killed Kellom, Mitchell Quinn.  

In 2008 Quinn was charged with assault with a dangerous weapon. The charges were later dropped before he was hired by Immigration Customs and Enforcement.

As for Kellom's past, he has drug charges dating back to 2012 as well as concealed weapons charges the following year which he pleaded guilty to.

According to police, Kellom was wanted on warrants for carjacking and robbery. 

Those who cared for him say his past and mistakes were no reason to be killed.

FOX 2: "What would be justice in this case?"

"If the police who did that to him get locked up," said Janay Williams, the mother of Kellom's children.

As for the investigation into the shooting, Quinn has been placed on leave and sources say they plan to interview the officer on Friday.

While investigations are ongoing, Kellom's family, friends and those in the community are trying to come to grips with his death.

"I don't even know where to go from here to be honest," Williams said.

Williams is pregnant with Lellum's daughter. Her family says it's a tough reality for Kellom's children who will now grow up without a father.

"He was here everyday with his son," said Adrienne Williams, the aunt of Kellom's children. "His son knows who he is. His son knows his face. His son talks about the police, his son is terrified."

"He didn't deserve what he got from the police."

The family of Terrance Kellom released  statement Wednesday afternoon saying that the search warrant was found by Kevin Kellom, Terrance's father, after he returned home from the hospital. Kevin Kellom claims the search warrant was signed three hours after the shooting occurred.

The full statement is as follows: 

The day after his son was gunned down by an Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE) officer, Kevin Kellom spoke publicly about the shooting in front of his home on Detroit's Northwest side. 

"They brought my son down the stairs and executed him in my face. My son died with a clenched fist, no hammer. My son reached for me and was shot twice in the chest. (After that), eight more shots rang out."

Kevin's son, Terrence was wanted for parole violation on a 2010 concealed weapons charge. The ICE agent was working on a multi-jurisdictional task force with Detroit police at the time of the shooting. When they came for Terrence, Kevin said he asked to see a search warrant but the officers entered without showing him one. 

When he returned home from the hospital after his son had been declared dead, Kevin found a search warrant that police left for him.  However, he said it had been signed 3 hours after the shooting occurred.

The news came at a press conference organized by the Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality.  It featured speakers from the Franklin Park Association, Baptist Pastors Council and Michigan United. Spokesman Ron Scott said:"Terrence Kellom will have justice.  We will not stop until he has justice and this neighborhood can be free." 

While ICE officers are an unusual sight in Northwest Detroit, they are all too common on the city's Southwest side where many undocumented residents live. 

 "In California and Texas, so many of our people are beaten up and there's no record." said Mary Turner of Michigan United. "What's happened at the Southern border is coming to the Northern border too."

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories