Police chase believed not called off in pursuit that killed 2 children

Two children killed and four others were hospitalized after a speeding car raced through a Detroit neighborhood Wednesday night.

The driver was trying to outrun police - now the community is questioning why officers chased a suspect through an area filled with children.

Detroit police have said that the chase was called off but that is not the case.

According to Police Chief James Craig, the chase lasted 62 seconds and stretched one point for six miles. Now we are learning that the weapon sparking the chase was never found and the pursuit was never called off.

"This is a residential street," said Kimberly Stevenson, who tried to help the children. "How many children have to die for them to realize they should have it called off."

Neighbors want to know why the sight of a weapon was enough for police to pursue a red Chevy Camaro into the neighborhoods, ending in a crash that killed two children, injured three more and one adult.

Children killed by the suspect's speeding car were 3-year-old Makiah and 6-year-old Michael Angelo Jackson.

"I'm at a loss for words," said Nicole Jackson, the children's grandmother. "Heartbroken. I didn't understand what was going on. All I wanted to know was why could this happen. This could have been prevented.

"It is dangerous, it's like a four-wheel bullet," said Ron Scott, Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality. "The chief said he saw somebody with a gun, I don't think that rises to the standard of actually chasing someone 90 miles per hour."

The chase started on Chatsworth and Cornwall on the city's east side. Police reports show one of the three officers in the vehicle was in the process of terminating and calling dispatch when he saw the crash.

Craig says the supervisor claimed he tried to call off the chase several times but communication data has no record.

"We are still looking into that," he said. "I will tell you, preliminarily we've gone down to communications to verify whether or not supervisors request was heard. We did not pick that up."

Police say the officers in the marked cruiser lost sight of the Camaro- but neighbors say that was not the case.

"They didn't stop the chase," said witness Charles Thomas. "He's wrong, he's dead wrong. But they're wrong, too. They did not call the chase off."

FOX 2: "How far were police behind him?"

"A good three car lengths," Thomas said.

FOX 2 has learned the 29-year-old driver was a parole absconder for possession of meth. His 27-year-old passenger had a record for weapons possession.

Neighbors watched in horror as the Camaro went 95 miles per hour, crossing Warren, then hitting and killing the Jackson children who were playing in front of their house.

From there it lost control and plowed into a nearby house, another car, and a porch. Also hit and injured at this point, was 3 -year-old Darius Andrews and 5 -year-old cousin Isaiah Williams and 7 -year-old cousin Zyaire Gardner.

Darius' father credits the 7 year-old for saving his son's life.

"When he saw it happen, he grabbed my son and wrapped his arms around him," Andrews said. "Instantly he saved my son. It's just senseless. It's the summer time. Kids can't be safe outside.

The 3- and 5-year-old children should be released from the hospital soon, but the 7-year-old is not doing well and has been airlifted to the University of Michigan hospital in critical condition.

The supervisor and three officers involved in the chase are on desk duty. There is an investigation going on into what happened and what may have gone wrong.

According to police procedure, a weapon is a felony and officers were allowed to initiate the chase. They claimed to have seen a man waving a handgun but the gun was not found. 
Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories