Police have person of interest in Trenton strangulation murder

A 65-year-old man is murdered in Trenton for the city's first homicide in 10 years.

More than a month later, police have a person of interest in the case, Aaron Syndney Marshall.

Marshall, 35, is sitting in Wayne County Jail tonight and may soon be facing charges for the death of George Hite.

The Detroit man was charged Tuesday with lying to a peace officer during a violent crime investigation and with being a habitual offender. 

Hite's niece, Sharon Fox, says the family has desperately been waiting for news on the case.

"I'm glad they are getting closer," she said. "I hope the family can finally get a little bit of  peace.

"I hope they arrest whoever did it and they rot in jail. That's where they deserve to be."

On March 11, Hite was found strangled to death inside his Trenton condo he shared with his elderly mother.

Police, reluctant to connect all of the dots, as they work to put their case together. But they say Hite met Marshall - an ex-con with a long history of brushes with the law, at the casino.

"He went there for fun after he retired from Great Lakes Steel," Fox said. "He went there once a month to get out, to get away."

Police believe there are more people involved, but the relationship Hite made with Marshall at the casino possibly cost him his life.

There was no forced entry into the condo, which means Hite let his killers in. There they strangled him with a belt and left him for dead.

"Must have been something," Fox said. "He must have won and somebody followed him home. Instead of just asking for the money, kills him for nothing."

A motive is still unclear, but police believe women may also be involved.

Hite's elderly mother, who suffers from Alzheimer's was there at the time and police believe was with her dead son inside their condo four to five days. It was then that a concerned relative asked police to make a welfare check and officers discovered the body of the beloved little league umpire.

"It's sad, very sad," Fox said. "But I'm glad Trenton police didn't give up. I'm really glad and I hope they catch everyone who is involved."

Police have put Hite's mother in a secure location until everyone connected to this case is arrested. Relatives say they do not recognize Marshall.

Fox says she has still not been able to see Hite's mother, her grandmother. She was not able to go to the funeral, police have put her in a secure location. 

Police are looking for other people connected to this case. Anyone with information should call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP or Trenton police at (734) 676-8377.
Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories