Police: Teen fatally shot in lawnmower blade attack was under the influence

A Trenton teen was shot and killed by police after officers say they were forced to fire after he charged them with a lawnmower blade.

One officer was injured, but is recovering. Investigators say Kyle Baker was under the influence of some type of drug at about 4:30 p.m. Thursday. 

Trenton police said they were called to the teen's home on Longmeadow Drive where they say he was acting agitated and under the influence. A neighbor called and describing Baker as acting strangely.

That's when police say the teen charged at officers with a lawnmower blade. Officers tried to tase Baker, but unsuccessfully, say he badly cut an officer's hand. The officer shot the teen once in the stomach. 

"I just saw the police come up, about six of them,"  said Richard Lavigne, a neighbor. in the backyard. "And then they surrounded the house and then they ran into the backyard." 

On Friday a somber feeling surrounded Trenton High School Friday as Baker's fellow students and friends say they still feel stunned.

"It took me a minute to wrap my head around it," said Tyler Carlos, a friend of Baker. "I just never thought anything like that would ever happen."

"He was a very nice kid, I don't think he would do anything to harm anybody."

The officer was treated and released. But on Friday morning students learned that Baker, a senior, had died. The message "Rest in peace Kyle" has been seen on social media. Hugs and tears inside the school.

"This morning when I found out he didn't make it, unreal," Carlos said.

Trenton High School staff held a crisis meeting Friday, saying grief counselors are on hand for teachers and students for the remainder of the school year.

"It's been a very traumatic day here," said Rod Wakeham, superintendent of Trenton Public Schools. "The loss of a student is something that this community is mourning. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family."

A somber day for Trenton police, learning of the teen's death is now following protocol. Michigan State Police is taking over the investigation. 

Now investigators are awaiting autopsy and toxicology results.

"Last night the Trenton Police Department contacted us because they wanted us to assume the investigation because there was an officer involved," said Lt. Michael Shaw of Michigan State Police.

The investigation is expected to take weeks. Many right now are thinking of the family left behind.

"I just can't even imagine what they're feeling," Carlos said.
Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories