About 30,000 cases have been recalled due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes, according to a release. This measure is limited to five stock keeping units of Classic Hummus nationwide.
No other Sabra products have been affected by the recall.
Listeria monocytogenes is an organism, which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
According to Sabra, none of the affected units have been linked to any illness.
The products being recalled were distributed to retail outlets, including food service accounts and supermarkets.
U.S. customers can find their code and use by dates on the top of each package. The affected product numbers are below:
- 040822011143 / 300067 Sabra Classic Hummus 10 oz 3 059 Best Before/Meilleur Avant 2015 May 113 060 Best Before/Meilleur Avant 2015 May 15 US
- 040822014687 / 300074 Sabra Classic Hummus 30 oz 3 059 Best Before/Meilleur Avant 2015 May 11 US
- 040822342049 / 301216 Sabra Classic Hummus without Garnish 32oz 3 059 Best Before/Meilleur Avant 2015 May 11 US
- 040822017497 / 301290 Sabra Classic Hummus 17oz Six Pack 3 058 Best Before/Meilleur Avant 2015 May 113 059 Best Before/Meilleur Avant 2015 May 11 US
- 040822342209 / 301283 Hummus Dual Pack Classic/Garlic 23.5oz 3 058 Best Before/Meilleur Avant 2015 May 11 US