14 people killed, 17 injured in San Bernardino mass shooting

- UPDATE (1:30 a.m.) At a late press conference police named Tashfeen Malik as the second suspect in the San Bernardino attack. Malik, 27, was married to Syed Farook, 28, the first person identified.

UPDATE (10:40 p.m.) Law enforcement officials have identified Syed Farook as one of the suspects, according to the Associated Press.

Fourteen people were been killed and 17 people injured at a mass shooting in a social services facility in San Bernardino, California.  

Suspects reportedly walked in a conference room shot for 30 seconds straight at 11 a.m. PST. FOX News is reporting the U.S. Government says the lead gunmen is a U.S. citizen.

UPDATE (8:45 EST:

Two of the suspects were a man and woman who were killed in a shootout with police near the social services facility.





Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said there is still no motive known, while an FBI spokesperson said that it is not known if terrorism was a motive during a press conference at 5:45 PST.

"We still don't know that for sure," said David Bowdich, FBI assistant director in charge of the Los Angeles office.  "We are making adjustments to the investigation it is a possibility."

The two suspects who were killed in a shootout with police nearby were equipped with assault rifles and hand guns while wearing tactical gear. One officer was injured in the shootout but his injuries are not considered to be life-threatening.

"Following a tip to watch a residence in Redlands, a vehicle left and a pursuit came down to San Bernardino and (that led) to an officer involved shooting," Burguan said, adding that the scene was sensitive and that bomb squad members approached the vehicle with caution before securing it.

There had not been any information released as to the ethnicity of the suspects.

A third person was seen running near the scene and was arrested and is being interrogated by police. 

An explosive device was found inside the community center shooting scene where police continue to work. 

Police were reportedly serving a search warrant on a home in Redlands, California, in connection with the deadly shooting in neighboring San Bernardino. 
 
An Associated Press reporter watched as a half-dozen vehicles carrying helmeted police drove into the area. One officer carrying an assault rifle ordered reporters to clear the area, and an armored vehicle parked outside a row of homes. 
 
At one point he was said to be holed up at a church or house nearby the shootout with officers. Police have surrounded the location less than a half mile away from the shootout location.

Later police said two suspects are down, following a chase and gunfight in the street at about 4 p.m. PST.

Police had been pointing guns at a dark-colored SUV with shattered windows on a residential street in the aftermath of the shootout. One officer was injured and does not have a life threatening injury.

Police said the suspects in the deadly shooting Wednesday at a social services facility in Southern California had fled in a dark SUV chase.

Officers had been keeping their distance, pointing their weapons at the vehicle, while more police raced to the scene.

Television footage showed armored vehicles blocking the SUV on a residential street.

"Preliminary information suggests that the suspects came prepared and were using long guns, not handguns," Burguan said at an earlier press conference. "As if they were on a mission."

The center says on its website that it provides social services to people with developmental disabilities. 

You can watch a livestream of coverage on the shooting here.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories