(WJBK) - Heart disease is America's number one killer. Reduce your risk and join FOX 2 and St. John Providence and Ascension Crittenton for the Healthy Heart Project! Make a date to protect your heart!
The Healthy Heart Project is Saturday, April 28 from 7:00 a.m. until 10:00 a.m. (registration ends at 10:00 a.m.) at three locations.
- St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital, Warren
- Providence Hospital, Southfield
- Ascension Crittenton Hospital, Rochester
It's a day devoted to heart disease prevention -- you'll get free heart health screenings with on-the-spot results and expert advice on adopting a heart healthy lifestyle.
Free Screenings and Tests Include:
- Electrocardiogram (EKG). Get a real time look at your heart with an EKG -- it's an electrical recording of the heart used in the investigation of heart disease.
- Blood pressure to check for hypertension, one of the first signs of a cardiovascular problem.
- Body mass index, which is a measurement used to determine obesity, a leading contributor to cardiovascular problems.
- Plus, a blood glucose test (no fasting required), heart risk assessment test and expert advice on nutrition, fitness, quitting smoking and stress management.
A physician will review your test results with you on site, and you'll have a personal consultation with a registered nurse to discuss your risk factors. Plus, you'll get recommendations for improving your heart health. There will also be an "expo" area with exhibits about heart-related topics including diet, exercise, diabetes and stress reduction.
It's a whole heart check-up, all for free!
The event is open from 7:00 a.m. until 10:00 a.m. Registration for the free screenings ends at 10:00 a.m. Parking is free, and the screenings at the event are free. If additional screenings/tests/treatments are needed outside of the free screenings (for example, should you be having a medical crisis and treatment is necessary) that treatment is not considered part of the free screenings.