Both suspects arrested in murder of father, musician

Detroit police solve the Christmas Eve murder of a Detroit musician.

FOX 2 received word Thursday evening that a second suspect has been brought into custody without incident finally bringing sense of closure for the family of Anthony Tolson.  

A little over an hour after Detroit Police Chief James Craig put out the call, officers were able to nab their man.

Darnell Gene Arthur Young of Inkster arrested by police who were working the case and had him under surveillance. Police arrested 35-year-old Charles Cox of Taylor earlier in the week. He's already been charged.

Police say both are responsible for the Christmas Eve carjacking and murder of musician Anthony Tolson.

His sister Michelle, talked about the toll her brother's murder has taken on the family.

"It is very hard to relive it and the thought that someone could be inconsiderate of someone else's life and family," said Michelle Tolson, Anthony's sister.

Anthony Tolson was on his way to his mother's home after playing bass during a Christmas Eve church service. He was bringing presents to his three children ages 6, 12 and 13 to open in the morning. But he never made it.

Police say Young and Cox seen on a surveillance video, shot Tolson at a liquor store on Gratiot and took off in his Chevy Trailblazer. His vehicle found torched a few days later on the city's west side.

"The person who did this interrupted the lives of so many people," Michelle said. "Not three or four people, millions of people loved and adored my brother."

Anthony was a talented bass player, who started his music career at the age of 8. He toured with prominent artists, but recently started pursuing another calling in the footsteps of his deceased father - Anthony was training to become an ordained minister.

"It really hurts to know accomplished really important to him and he can't do that right now," Michelle said.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories