DETROIT (WJBK) - As more agencies join the investigation into what went wrong inside a Detroit funeral home where the remains of 10 fetuses and one infant were found, the medical examiner released new information about the condition of the bodies.
The Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office issued a press release Tuesday saying the remains were in mummified conditions. The office also said the chances of identifying them will depend on medical records and funeral home records.
The Medical Examiner also released a statement: "Due to the conditions of the remains, the best path toward positive identification is finding existing records. The fact that these remains reached a funeral home means there should be a record somewhere that can help lead us to identifying information,"
State officials in Eastpointe are investigating the complaint filed against QA Cantrell Funeral Services.
The Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) plans to have a conference call on Wednesday with more information about the investigation.
The funeral home closed earlier this year when decomposing embalmed bodies were found there.
An anonymous letter led state inspectors Friday to the decomposed remains hidden between the eastside building's first and second floors.
The fetuses were found together in a cardboard-like box while the full-term infant was in a coffin, Craig said.
The former funeral home located on Mack, was closed in April for deplorable conditions that included decomposing and moldy bodies.
On April 10, officials say they discovered the improper storage of embalmed bodies in an unrefrigerated garage that had been there since November and December of 2017. An inspector also found a body kept from January 9 until it was cremated on April 17.
Weeks later on April 25, two bodies in the funeral home's possession since January and February 2018 were found in an advanced stage of decomposition, covered in what they say appeared to be mold. Another body was found with unknown fluids in the facial area.
Raymond Cantrell took over the funeral home in 2017 and admits holding the preserved bodies and says it was his attempt to accommodate the community who couldn't yet pay for burial of their loved one.
The site is being converted to a community center and has new ownership.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.