Milan Area Schools evacuated, closed Monday for threat

- A school district in southeastern Michigan is canceling classes Monday after receiving a threat. 

Milan Area Schools posted on its website that it's evacuating all buildings and canceling classes after receiving a bomb threat by email. The school says they're working with local authorities and Michigan State Police. 

Milan is a city in Monroe and Washtenaw counties, about 15 miles south of Ann Arbor. 

The school says walkers and drop offs will be able to be picked up at the Milan Community Center.  

Schools in the Milan district include Paddock Elementary School, Symons Elementary School, Milan Middle School and Milan High School. 

This is a developing story. Stay with FOX 2 for updates. 

Milan is just one of many school districts that has investigated a threat or gone into some type of lockdown in the past week. 

Also on Monday, Lake Shore High School in St. Clair Shores was on lockdown after a bullet was found in the school. Last week, lockdowns were also prompted at Garden City High School and Berkley High School after a bullets were found in the schools.  

Over the weekend, authorities investigated a threatening comment made on social media by a Royal Oak Middle School student. Authorities determined there was no threat, and classes are continuing Monday as normal with a police presence at school. 

Also this weekend, a 14-year-old student at Whiteford High School in Ottawa Lake, Mich. was arrested for making terroristic threats towards a school. 

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories