SOUTH LYON, Mich. (WJBK) - A South Lyon high school senior who police said threatened to re-enact the Florida high school shooting last week will be held in jail for another three weeks for his preliminary hearing unless he and his family can make the $10 million bond.
Ryan Debruyne, 18, was ordered held until his preliminary hearing on March 22nd after police said he sent a Snapchat to a friend asking if he wanted to re-enact the Florida shooting. The student said no and then called police.
Debruyne was arrested last week and held on a $10 million cash/surety bond and has been in the Oakland County Jail ever since. He was in court on Wednesday for a probable cause hearing.
His attorney, Zack Glaza, asked for a bond reduction but it was denied by the judge who cited the need for more evidence.
After the friend received the message and called 911, police tracked down Debruyne in his home in Green Oak Township. His parents allowed police in to interview him and he admitted to sending the message.
Police searched the family's home, his room, and car and did not find any guns that he had access to.
He was arraigned on charge of making a false report of terrorism and faces a maximum penalty of 20 years.
On Wednesday, his 18th birthday, he appeared before another judge for a probably cause hearing. He's being held on a $10,000,000 cash/surety bond and remains in the Oakland County Jail.
Zack Glaza, an attorney Debruyne, released a statement on his client's behalf where he applauded the student who called police about the threat. He also said the Debruyne does not possess weapons: " he has no history of violence, no criminal history or disciplinary record with the school, and he did nothing else to demonstrate a desire to bring harm to his school or community."
Supporters of Ryan, including those from his cross country team, believe he wouldn't hurt anybody.
"It was poorly timed I would say. He always had a dark sense of humor I've known him for four years, but I don't believe he meant anything by it," said Evan Leslie, Ryan's cross country teammate.
But the prosecutor believes that Ryan meant something by it. The charge of making a threat of terrorism carries a maximum penalty of 20 years.
"He made a wrong decision but shouldn't be treated as a felon," said Joseph Younkin, who supports Ryan.
Michelle Klevering says he's from a good family.
"We worked a lot of long hours on cross country meets and things like that so I do know them well. It's a hard thing, I couldn't even imagine going through it," she said.
During Wednesday's proceedings, the judge did not say he was against lowering the $10 million bond, but rather that he needs more information.