(WJBK) - Our friend and culinary instructor Chef Kelli Lewton joins us with Chef Jeffrey Gabriel from Schoolcraft Culinary School to show us how to prepare a Mediterranean stromboli. For more information on Schoolcraft Culinary School, visit www.schoolcraft.edu.
MEDITERRANEAN STROMBOLI WITH RED PEPPERS AND SALAMI
Ingredients for dough
1 lb. water, 100 degrees F
1/2 oz dry yeast
2 oz olive oil
1/2 oz salt
1 lb 8 oz Lb flour
Method for dough
1. Dissolve the yeast in the water and then add all of the remaining ingredients. Mix into firm dough.
2. Knead for at least 10 minutes. Let ferment 1 1/2 hours. Punch down and divide the dough into 6 balls and let rest for at least 15 minutes before making the stromboli.
Ingredients for stromboli
Pizza sauce, as needed
Pesto, as needed
Thin slices salami, as needed
Thin slices capacola, as needed
Slices of peppercini, as needed
Slices of fresh tomato, as needed
Slices of fresh mozzarella cheese, as needed
Sliced kalamata olives, as needed
Roasted red peppers, cut into strips, as needed
Sesame seeds, as needed
Grated parmesan and mozzarella
Method for stromboli
1. Roll out the ball of dough in a thin rectangular shape. Spread on a thin layer of pesto and then pizza sauce.
2. Place a thin layer of ham them tomatoes, olices, roasted peppers and peppercini. Then cover these with mozzarella cheese. Then finish the last layer with salami.
3. Roll the dough up tight like a loaf of Italian bread.
4. Place it on a cookie sheet. Let it rest at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
5. Before baking, score the top of the loaf and wash with water and sprinkle with seeds.
6. Bake at 400F for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve hot.