A big mistake for Detroit's largest contractor the Adamo Group.
Demolition was suspended Wednesday after tearing down a home on Holcomb next door to the one they were supposed to demolish.
"They knocked down the wrong house," said Brian Farkas, "The wrecking crew knocked down the house on the right when they should have knocked down the house on the left."
The home was accidentally knocked down on April 8. Adamo discovered the mistake May 4 -- then contacted the Detroit Building Authority.
"When contractors violate that, we have penalties in place," Farkas said.
Calling the violation unacceptable, the director of special projects with the DBA, Brian Farkas says the land bank owns both of the homes. Although both homes have been in the pipeline to be demolished, Adamo tore down the home they were not contracted to.
FOX 2: "How does this happen?"
"This contractor, if you look at the scale they've done," Farkas said. "This has happened very few times in the demo program, " Farkas said.
He added that while Adamo has done more than 3,200 demos without any prior violations, they take this very seriously.
"We have a policy in place that covers this and we treat all our contractors fairly," he said. "So if you are the largest contractor or the smallest contractor, you are going to have the policy applied fairly towards you."
Farkas says since there had been no asbestos survey on the home it is unclear if asbestos was present on the property. The city notified the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, immediately.
"Adamo's gotten a letter explaining what they have to do, they have seven days to appeal it," Farkas said.
Farkas says if Adamo doesn't challenge it within 7 days, the company will be suspended from the bidding process on all demolitions for 90 days.
"They are getting paid for the one house that was contracted," Farkas said. "Even though two houses were demolished, the city is only paying for one."