The following represents brief/broad position descriptions. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, to represent a comprehensive and/or exhaustive description of all duties/responsibilities and requisite skills for each position.
Current employees: To apply to one or more of our open positions, access your Career tab in Workday.
External candidates should CLICK HERE to apply online for one or more of our open positions.
Accounting & Finance Manager (Regular, Full-Time)
WJBK - FOX 2 is seeking a Finance & Accounting Manger to join our team! We're looking for someone who will be responsible for the day-to-day accounting and finance functions at the station overseeing A/P, Payroll, Fixed Assets, General Accounting and Financial Reporting.
In this position, you must demonstrate logic and critical thinking skills and have the latitude to effectively handle most accounting related situations. You will lead the monthly close process, monthly forecast process, quarterly footnote and analytical review process, review annual tax package, oversee SOX testing, assist in preparation of station budget and review station expenses and make recommendations on cost savings and efficiencies.
Bachelor’s degree or higher in Finance or Accounting. Minimum of five years of experience in finance/accounting. Experience within the media/entertainment industry preferred. Experience managing at least 2+ employees required. Thorough knowledge and understanding of GAAP required. CPA preferred but not required. l Working knowledge of Workday, Coupa and Wide Orbit preferred. Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel (VLookup, Pivot Tables).
Newscast Director (Regular, Full-Time)
WJBK’s News Department is seeking an individual for an immediate opportunity as a Director for live broadcasts. The Director will work closely with producers and other employees on rundown preparation, segment design and graphic presentation. Lead implementation of new concepts/ideas for newscasts. Provide editorial input as it relates to development of engaging story telling. Establish quality control and consistent look from the various technical operational positions. Responsible for post-show review, troubleshooting and technical problem solving. Other duties as deemed appropriate and as assigned.
Proven ability to lead production and editorial staff during live programming, as well as, knowledge of broadcast industry, particularly as it pertains to the production of local news programming, required. Ability to contribute ideas about best practices and most compelling story telling techniques. Must understand technical terms used in control rooms. Able to adapt to a fast-paced quickly changing environment and lead others through these changes in a clear, concise and calm manner. Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with station personnel. Must be able to code for ELC operated live newscast. Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field or equivalent work experience. Three to five years’ experience as a broadcast director, preferable in news, required.
Traffic Assistant (Regular, Full-Time)
WJBK's Traffic Department is seeking an individual for an immediate opportunity as a Traffic Assistant.
Individual will be responsible for the accuracy of commercial spot placement, managing the inventory to ensure separation and maximization of inventory. Works closely with Sales Managers to ensure inventory is not unsold. Maintains related reports. Individual prints and distributes daily log and provides support to traffic personnel. In addition, candidate also serves as backup in Copy by maintaining commercial information to ensure accuracy of commercials aired. Responsibilities include maintaining commercial files, contacting ad agencies and gathering materials for production. Other duties as deemed appropriate to be assigned.
Prior experience in Traffic preferred. Experience with Wide Orbit or other Traffic system a plus. Requires a detail-oriented individual with excellent communication, organization and interpersonal skills. Ability to work under strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment is essential. Able to work overtime when necessary. High school diploma or equivalent required. College degree preferred.
Sales Assistant (Regular, Full-Time)
WJBK’s Sales Department is seeking a highly motivated individual for an immediate opportunity as Sales Assistant. Individual will perform administrative and office support for the National Sales Manager. Will assist the National Sales Manager with various tasks which include: answer phones, data entry of broadcast orders, investigating order discrepancies and credit memos, maintaining organizational systems, coordinate travel and monthly expense forms for Sales Management and Account Executives, maintain political tracking and upload orders onto the FCC website, and pull various reports through the Wide Orbit system. This position will also provide back-up to the sales assistants, Local Sales Manager and General Sales Manager. Strong written/oral communication skills are required. This position requires excellent attention to detail and accuracy. Qualifications include strong clerical, communication and problem-solving skills. Ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate the ability to service excellence to clients and account executives. This is a great career opportunity with long-term career potential.
4-year college degree preferred; high school degree required. Knowledge of Microsoft Office products: Word, Excel and Power Point. Knowledge of Nielsen ratings, Wide Orbit and Box a plus. Preferred 2 years’ experience working in an office environment or media company.
Account Executive (Regular, Full-Time)
Maintain and improve existing clients and target prospective customers to sell comprehensive advertising campaigns utilizing all platforms including television, and digital performing the following duties:
• Responsible for obtaining revenue goals in all facets including existing accounts, new business, zero share business
• Meet regularly with sales management and digital team to communicate sales goals, new business development
• Proficient in negotiation skills utilizing NSI LPM ratings, and qualitative research,
• Possess strong written and oral communication skills including strong presentation skills.
• Ability to identify and target new business opportunities and hit quarterly sales goals as assigned.
• Call on prospective clients and present outlines of various programs, packages and opportunities for both linear
and non-linear platforms.
• Create and present marketing plans to encourage the use of FOX in their advertising mix.
• Process all paperwork related to account lists accurately, completely and in a timely manner.
• Work with Credit Manager to ensure appropriate credit references are furnished and timely payments are received
for business sold.
• Demonstrate responsibility for any and all equipment issued by FOX.
• Represent WJBK FOX 2 in a professional manner at all times.
• Regular attendance.
• Comply with all Fox Corporation computer requirements – myfoxpay, Navigator training, password protection,
computer usage, etc.
• Comply with all Fox Corporation and Station policies – Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption, Insider Trading, etc.
• Duties as assigned.
• Entertain clients.
• Local/regional travel.
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university preferred. Minimum five year’s sales/advertising experience. Possess proficient skills in Word, Excel and Power Point (a plus). Knowledge of Wide Orbit preferred. Extremely organized, self-motivated, sales driven, team-oriented, works well under pressure in a fast-paced environment. Good listening skills along with relationship building qualities. Must maintain a valid driver’s license.
Director Engineering (Regular, Full-Time)
Essential Job Duties:
• Directly supervise the Engineering Maintenance Department.
• Supervise the installation, maintenance, and repair of all technical equipment necessary to establish and foster a sound technical facility from which our creative and editorial personnel may work to produce major market News and Programming content.
• Track the progress of any problem from assignment to a Maintenance Technician, through the return and checkout by the problem’s originator.
• Develop a preventive maintenance schedule and perform preventive maintenance or safety inspections, on all electronic systems, thereby reducing the probability of equipment failure or accidents.
• Set engineering procedures and policies with the approval of the VP of Engineering/Operations.
• Oversee maintenance of ancillary equipment and operations, including station generators and building systems.
• Minimally once per year conduct a full-facility drill on emergency power systems.
• Purchase replacement parts and equipment for the Engineering Department as directed by the VP of Engineering/Operations.
• Work with IT department to ensure all broadcast systems are compliant with FOX policies.
• Work with the VP of Engineering/Operations and Director of Broadcast Operations to manage operating budgets for the Engineering Department.
• Host weekly group meetings and daily individual meetings with the Engineering Maintenance staff to determine day-to-day objectives and gauge the progress of long-term goals as determined by daily meetings with the VP of Engineering/Operations.
• Facilitate ongoing continuing education on new technologies and train the Maintenance staff on new systems and operations.
• Work directly with the News Department to plan and implement special production and event coverage as necessary.
• Along with the Director of Broadcast Operations, determine the source of all on-air technical problems or mistakes and take any necessary action to prevent such mistakes from reoccurring.
• Working with the Director of Broadcast Operations, purchase and maintain a supply of all spare ENG equipment necessary to keep the technical staff fully operational at all times.
• Maintain an inventory of the equipment utilized in the entire ENG operation.
• With the VP of Engineering/Operations and Director of Broadcast Operations, address crew concerns and disciplinary issues promptly and consistently, following HR and FOX policies.
• Coordinate with the VP of Engineering/Operations and the Director of Broadcast Operations to develop technical procedures and implementation of new equipment.
Candidate must have a minimum 5 years of experience in the television industry with solid design engineering and troubleshooting skills. A degree in Engineering, Broadcast, or IT related field is preferred. Prior management skills, similar position held and/or training experience is highly desired. Strong working knowledge of digital video systems, network and IT is required. Strong follow-through, record keeping, written communication, and interpersonal skills required.
•Background in digital audio/video technologies at all levels of production.
•Data network, data communications, computer systems and broadcast technologies experience.
•Working knowledge of computer operating systems (Windows, Linux, Oracle, etc.) and security patching.
•Knowledge of multi-channel station automation and servers.
•File-based newsroom workflows, editing experience and newscast automation.
•HD routing switchers, production switchers and audio matrix, cameras, robotics and multi-viewers experience
•Satellite commercial delivery systems knowledge –Pitch Blue, Pathfire, etc.
•Understanding of ATSC 1.0 & 3.0 signals, MPEG2, MPEG4, DOLBY AC3, CALM ACT, EAS, CAP.
•Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and motivate a team.
Promotion Producer Digital (Regular, Full-Time)
Fox 2 Detroit is seeking a high-energy Promotion Producer (Digital) to join our Creative Services staff. A significant responsibility of a Promotion Producer (Digital) is the development of digital and social marketing content. In coordination with the FOX 2 Digital content team, this position will take the lead on all promotional, marketing and sponsored digital content. Strong writing skills, sound news judgment and the ability to work and write compelling copy in a short timeframe is essential. The Promotion Producer (Digital) will work primarily with Creative Services but also directly with the Digital news team to coordinate promotional and sales-related content. The Promotion Producer (Digital) will develop, write, produce, and often edit promotional branding spots and social media elements, in conjunction with or as assigned by the Vice President of Creative Services or the Promotion Manager. Development of ideas, treatments, scripts and storyboards are required. Hands-on editing skills and a keen understanding of the most current postproduction processes are a must. The Promotion Producer (Digital) position will often work directly with Fox 2 News anchors, reporters and videographers. Having a clear, concise and compelling action plan for all in-studio and on-location shoots is a must. Perform other duties as deemed appropriate and as assigned.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: Strong organizational and communication skills. Prior digital, promotion and creative writing experience. Prior Social Media and digital content experience. Prior branding and project-based idea development experience. Ability to work proactively in groups and teams. Ability to work effectively on quick turnaround projects. Minimum Qualifications, Education and Experiences Education: Minimum Bachelor’s degree or equivalent broadcast experience. Experience: Minimum 1-2 years’ experience working in a TV broadcast (or similar) Creative Services or Promotion Department. Digital video editing experience a plus.
News Photographer (Regular, Full-Time)
Candidate will shoot and edit news stories and special events. They must operate live truck and other ENG equipment, as well as establish live shots, as required by the news department. The individual must operate communications equipment in live trucks. They must operate equipment in ENG receive including tuning in microwave and live shots; utilizing machines for record/dub/edit purposes; downlinking satellite transmissions. This person must utilize various communications equipment for both in-house and field communications. This person must also understand the use of good lighting, photographic, audio and editing techniques as required in the production of quality news. Perform other duties as deemed appropriate and as assigned.
Qualifications: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in communications, journalism or broadcasting required. Minimum of four years' experience as a news photographer/editor. Knowledge of basic journalism and production techniques. Experience with the operation of a P2 camera, P2 editing equipment, and non-linear experience. Must have an understanding of how to utilize social media to gain more newscast viewers and draw more consumers to fox2detroit.com and the Fox 2 Facebook page. A geographical and/or historical knowledge of Metro Detroit is a plus. Must have a valid driver's license.
Account Executive (Regular, Full Time)
We're looking for experienced OTT salesperson to manage develop, assist and service business for the Fox local extension OTT platform (FLX)
Prospecting new business, present FLX capabilities via Zoom and in-person. Act as category expert, working alongside Fox linear sales teams. Overseeing all schedules throughout the campaign; work directly with stations, advertising agencies and clients to increase revenue for the FLX platform
Excellent communication skills, proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Wide Orbit a plus. Knowledge of the local TV marketplace and how they are adapting to new OTT channels. Sales Hunter
2-3 years of successful experience in the digital media industry; Digital Video Advertising and/or Digital Agency/Digital Publisher experience preferred. College degree preferred. IAB certification preferred. Familiarity with basic digital media technology. Excellent presentation skills. Preferred Qualifications: Existing relationships with senior level client or agency decision makers. Digital agency relationships.
Sales Assistant-FLX (Regular, Full-Time)
We are looking for a Sales Assistant to join FOX Television Stations FLX OTT platform. As a member of the team, you will work in a fun, fast-paced and fluid environment. You will work with sales leadership, AE’s and marketing on all aspects of the pre and post sales process.
Assist Local Account Executives in the Fox Local Extension (FLX) sales department. (OTT/Digital ad sales) General administrative work, manage pipelines, CRM. Order processing. Assist AE’s on prospecting, research gathering, sales planning, invoicing. Act as liaison between AE’s agency buyer and clients.
Excellent communication skills. MS Office applications. Organization and prioritization skills. Knowledge of local TV marketplace. Willingness to learn and grow. Customer (internal and external) focus. Wide Orbit experience a plus. Ability to work under pressure and be a team player.
Knowledge of Wide Orbit software helpful; College degree and digital experience preferred but not required.
EOE/M/F/Veteran/Disabled; A VEVRAA Federal Sub ContractorFederal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Please send an email to email@example.com, call (248) 552-5122, or visit our readily accessible station located at 16550 West 9 Mile Road Southfield, MI 48075-4720, and a member of our recruiting team will assist you.