Radhika Chintalapally and Ashwini Dole present: Vegetable Pulao
Southfield (WJBK) - Vegetable Pulao (will be cooked in the segment)
1 cup long grained rice (basmati)
3/4 cup roughly chopped mixed vegetables
(french beans , carrot
and green peas)
1 tbsp oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
1 bayleaf (tejpatta)
25 mm (1") cinnamon (dalchini) stick
2 cloves (laung / lavang)
1/2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
1 tsp gingergarlic paste
1 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp turmeric
For The Garnish
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
1. Soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes, cook in a rice cooker and keep aside.
2. Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the onions, bayleaf, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves . sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
3. Add the ginger garlic paste, saute for a minute . Add the mixed vegetables, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
4. Add the green chillies, ginger, garam masala, 21Ž2 cups of hot water and salt, mix well and add the cooked rice. cover lid and leave the dish for 2 minutes.
5. Serve hot garnished with coriander
INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
2 medium or large corn cob
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 medium tomato, finely chopped
1 green chili, finely chopped (optional)
1 tbsp chopped parsley or coriander leaves
1 or 2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp red chili powder or Paprika (optional)
1 tsp ginger and garlic paste
1/4 tsp crushed black pepper (optional)
Pinch of turmeric
salt to taste
a few coriander leaves or parsley for garnishing
1. boil or pressure cook the corn cob till the kernels are cooked well.
2. when the corn cob becomes warm or cools down, then remove the corn kernels with a knife.
3. Sautee all of the ingredients in a pan and mix in the corn.
4. check the taste and add more salt or lemon juice if required.
5. serve the corn chaat immediately, in individual serving bowls or plates topped with coriander/parsley.