They came by the thousands to race for a good cause and celebrate 25 years of battling breast cancer by spreading awareness.
The 25th annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure took over downtown Detroit Saturday morning and the Fox2 News morning team was there.
Joining them were several special guests that shared their survival stories and organized teams to participate. Including the Ford Warriors in Pink, led by Marcy Klevorn, Ford Chief Information Officer and Race for the Cure Executive Champion.
Fox2's Deena Centofanti spoke with cancer researcher Michele Cote, Ph.D., with the Karmanos Cancer Institute and Wayne State University. Her work focuses on cancer disparities and she is part of the upcoming Healthy Breast Tissue Bank, set to begin in September.
Also visiting with the team was Tina Miller, of Meijer, who provided some meal recipes with ingredients believed to help reduce the risk of breast cancer. Here are some of her special creations.
- 2 cups cooked Meijer Whole Grain Rotini pasta
- 2 cups Earthbound Farm® Organic Kale
- 3 True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Cage-Free Eggs with Omega-3 fatty acids, hard-boiled, chopped*
- ½ cup green onions, sliced
- 2 cups True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Mushrooms, chopped
- 2 orange bell peppers, chopped**
- 1 (16 ounce) bag True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Frozen Green Peas, cooked
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cup low-moisture part-skim Mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, combine rotini, kale, eggs, green onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, peas, tomato, and mozzarella cheese.
- Creamy Avocado Dressing: Place dressing ingredients in blender. Cover; process until smooth. Toss salad with creamy avocado dressing.