(FOX 2) - Mother's Day doesn't need to be complicated or expensive. At the end of the day moms just wanting to be appreciated and with their families.
Chef Kelli Lewton from Twp Unique Caterers & Event Planners joined us on The Nine with some easy recipes you can make for your MOther's Day meal. You can watch as she prepares them in the video player above, and get her recipes below.
Paleo Prosciutto Baked Egg Cups
12 slices of prosciutto
1 tablespoon of grape seed oil
4 cups baby spinach
½ cup good quality shredded parmesan cheese
1 roasted red pepper, diced
6 basil leaves cut into thin strips (chiffonade)
1 garlic clove, minced sea salt & pepper to taste chopped chives
Directions 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Heat a medium sauté pan to medium high heat, add tsp of olive oil and garlic to a pan. Sauté for 30 seconds, stirring the whole time. Next, add spinach to the pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes until wilted. Season with salt. Add in the roasted red pepper, sauté for another minute and remove from heat and set aside.
3. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Fill each muffin cup with prosciutto, making sure to line the bottom and sides of the cup (using little pieces to patch in holes as necessary).
4. Then fill in each muffin cup with 1-2 tablespoons of the spinach mixture. Carefully crack 1 egg into each muffin cup. Season with cracked black pepper.
5. Bake for 10 minutes for runny eggs or 13-15 minutes for set eggs.
6. Garnish with chopped chives.
Mom's French Toast Flower
32 slices of thin white or egg bread
12 slices bacon
1 ½ cups of half & Half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon orange zest
Pinch sea salt
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon for 'breading" French toast
Directions 1. Take bread slices and roll with rolling pin to flatten; then use 2-inch round cutter and cut circles
2. Mix eggs, half & half, vanilla, orange zest & sea salt
3. Line 2 pieces of bacon end to end overlapping ½ inch or so (you will have four set of bacon)
4. Take flattened bread circles and dip in egg mixture then press both side in cinnamon sugar and place on tray; repeat 31 more times
5. Take 8 circles overlapping one at a time and arrange on the bacon "rail".
6. Roll bacon up gently and nest into regular size muffing pan; carefully with each "rose" pulling petals out a smidge.
7. Bake at 325 about 20-28 minutes until egg is cooked through but not dry. If they appear to darken to quickly, place a light layer of foil over top.
8. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving
Very Berry Granola Tart with Yogurt
1 ½ cups organic old-fashioned oats
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
¼ cup pecans; finely chopped
1 ½ tablespoon sesame seeds
5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
¼ cup honey
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon cinnamon, ground pinch nutmeg
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup coconut yogurt (or yogurt of your choice)
½ cup of each; fresh raspberries, blueberries and hulled halved medium sized strawberries
Directions 1. Thoroughly mix the oats, nuts, seeds, melted oil, honey, vanilla and cinnamon together in a bowl.
2. Press about 3 tablespoons of the mixture into 8 greased mini tart pans. Use the back of an oiled spoon to help press the granola evenly across the pan and up the sides.
3. Bake in the center rack of the oven for about 15 to 17 minutes, or until golden.
4. Immediately after removing the tart shells from the oven, use the back of the spoon to press down the centers of the crust to create more of an indentation, and push up the sides. The shell puffs up in the oven, so it helps to reshape the crust after it bakes while still hot.
5. Allow to cool completely in the pan before removing.
6. Use a small palette knife to gently release the sides of the crust, working around each side, then very carefully remove it from the pan.
7. Fill each tart with 3 to 4 tablespoons of your choice yogurt spread evenly.
8. Arrange the fruit on top and serve immediately.
Strawberry Flower Bouquet
Cream cheese, softened
Graham cracker crumbs or crushed graham cracker
Directions 1. Cut off the tops of the strawberries and hollow out the inside with a paring knife.
2. In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth.
3. Fill each strawberry with the cheesecake filling using a spoon, knife, or a piping bag.
4. Dip the strawberry, cheesecake side down, into the graham cracker crumbs.
5. Keep refrigerated until served.
Variations Fill berries with room temp ganache Whip cream Your favorite frosting Marshmallow fluff