(FOX 2) - Shimmy Shack is known for its vegan and gluten free food truck. They're opening their first brick and mortar location this week in Plymouth.
Shimmy Shack Owner Debra Lavantosser joined us on The Nine to tell us more about their food and the new restaurant. You can hear from her in the video player above, and get their firehouse chili recipe below.
3 TBSP Oil (or water)
1.5 lbs sweet potatoes (diced) soaked in lime juice and water
3 cups onion of choice (diced)
1/3 cup minced garlic
12 ounces chopped chiles
2.5 TBSP cumin
1.5 Tsp salt (optional)
1.5 TBSP chili powder
3 TBSP lime juice
1.5 TBSP chipotle
8 cups diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
4 cans black beans
¼ gallon water
1 bunch cilantro
1. Chop the cilantro in food processor, set aside
2. Sweat the potatoes, onions, garlic and salt in olive oil (or water)
3. Add seasonings, tomatoes, chiles and water.
4. Simmer for 20-30 minutes
5. Add beans and lime juice
6. Simmer another 30-40 minutes or until it thickens to a chili consistency
7. Remove from heat, stir in the cilantro
8. Eat with a smile on your face! And a fire in your belly