15-year-old electrocuted in Detroit from live wire

Manuel Ramos-Pelayo Jr

A 15-year-old has been electrocuted on Detroit's east side from a live wire, according to Detroit police.

The victim has been identified as Manuel Ramos-Pelayo Jr. The incident happened in the 14300 block of Woodrow Wilson St near Oakman Blvd Friday at 4:30 p.m. 

The teen was helping the property owner at the location with work on the property when he came into contact with a live wire. 

DTE Energy has released a statement:

“We learned this evening that a 15-year-old boy, while on the roof of an apparently vacant warehouse on Detroit’s west side, inadvertently came into contact with DTE’s overhead power line and tragically was electrocuted. This is an urgent reminder of the inherent danger of energized power lines and the need to always stay at least 20 feet away from any line. Always assume that power lines are `live.’ Our thoughts and prayers go out to the boy’s loved ones.”