Edsel Ford II arrested for suspicion of domestic violence; released due to lack of evidence

Image 1 of 3

WEB UPDATE: Edsel Ford II's wife Cynthia released a statement Tuesday night about the incident:

“I wish to make a statement on behalf of my husband and me. I would like to clarify this situation:  contrary to reports, this is not a case of domestic violence. I stand behind true victims of domestic violence and I am not one of them. My husband and I ask that you respect our privacy and that of our family.  We are working in the right direction to heal from this experience and move forward.” --Cynthia Ford

Edsel Ford II was arrested, accused of assaulting his wife but will not face any criminal charges due to lack of evidence.

The great-grandson of Henry Ford, Edsel Ford II was released Tuesday morning in Grosse Pointe Farms about 12 hours after being arrested on suspicion of domestic violence.

The city's prosecutor decided not to file charges, citing insufficient evidence.

"The only real evidence, there was a sign that there had been some physical altercation," said Chief Daniel Jensen, Grosse Pointe Farms police. "There was no knock down, drag-out battle here."

Grosse Pointe Farms police say they got a call from the Ford home at about 11:30 p.m.  Monday. Apparently the 67-year-old and his wife, Cynthia, got into an argument.

"You have signs of a scuffle, but no injury," said Lt. Richard Rosati. "So both are fighting. There was insufficient evidence; there was no actual marks of assault."

Grosse Pointe Farms police say during the altercation, Cynthia reports her husband shoved her. She then took out her cell phone to record his behavior and she told police he grabbed her phone.

Police say the Fords have been having problems in their marriage and have been attending therapy. On top of no physical evidence, Ford's wife decided not to pursue charges.

FOX 2: "If she did want to pursue charges would that change anything?

"It could, but again there were no witnesses I believe," Jensen said. "There was no obvious sign of physical injury."

Jensen says if Ford grabbed his wife's phone and actually prevented her from calling 911, he could've been charged with a two-year felony. But police add they've never had a call to the Ford home before.

A statement from Ford motor company where Ford is currently on the board of directors tells FOX 2 it would be inappropriate to comment on personal matters.