Lapeer middle school students hospitalized after vape pen exposure

(Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images) 

Four students at a Lapeer middle school were taken to the hospital Wednesday for a negative reaction to a substance ingested through a vape pen.

According to Lapeer Community Schools, the students at the Zemmer Campus had the reaction at the school. The students were hospitalized for treatment and monitoring but further details are not known. 

The school said it did not know the nature of the substance that was in the vape pen but it is being evaluated by medical staff.

The school said it contacted the parents of the children who were being treated and has asked people to responsible passing along rumors of what happened.