ANN ARBOR, Mich. (WJBK) - A Michigan man accused of poisoning unpackaged food at grocery stores earlier this year isn't competent to stand trial.
Washtenaw County District Court Judge Cedric Simpson's clerk tells FOX 2 the ruling was made Thursday in the case of 29-year-old Kyle Bessemer after a doctor's evaluation. Bessemer's lawyer had requested the mental evaluation.
The FBI says Bessemer admitted spraying a mixture of hand sanitizer, mouse poison and water on produce and food bars at three local supermarkets: Whole Foods, Meijer and Plum Market.
Investigators have said Bessemer has a history of mental illness and told police he poured the poison onto produce because someone was trying to poison him.
The man, from Midland, said he'd been living in Ann Arbor, was unemployed, didn't attend school and received supplemental security income along with money from his father every month.
He said he received about $3,000 per month.
Steve Hiller, Washtenaw County chief assistant prosecutor, says Bessemer will stay at the state's Center for Forensic Psychiatry until a Sept. 22 review hearing. He faces food poisoning charges.
This is a developing story. Stay with FOX 2 for updates.
The Associated Press contributed to this report