DETROIT (WJBK) - A trial date has been set for Charles Pugh, the former president of the Detroit City Council who is charged with criminal sexual conduct involving a teen more than a decade ago.
Pugh is facing five counts of sexual misconduct for allegations going back to 2003 and 2004, when he was a television journalist at FOX 2. His trial is scheduled to begin on November 7.
Not guilty pleas have been entered. Defense lawyer Delphia Burton says a $150,000 bond that's been set is too high and she's trying to get it reduced.
Pugh was elected to the council in 2009, and became president because he got the most votes. He quit in 2013 and left for New York as allegations in a separate case became public. He was charged in June.
The victim, who is now 27, testified in court last week about how he met Pugh back in March of 2013 when he was 14 years old. In court, the victim described the various sexual encouters he shared with Pugh.
The judge overseeing that hearing said the teen sought an internship at FOX 2 but became Pugh's sex slave.
Pugh's November trial is expected to last four days. During that time, more than a dozen witnesses could be called to the stand.