Police release more information on shooting that killed 1 and injured 2 officers, 3 civilians

Image 1 of 5

Philadelphia Police have released more information about a shooting in West Philadelphia that killed one civilian and injured 5 other people, including two officers.  The suspect was also shot and killed following a shootout with police late Friday night. 

The suspect has been identified at 25-year-old Nicholas Glenn.

SKYFOX was over the scene where shots rang out near 51st and Sansom Streets around 11:20 p.m. Friday.

Police say the shooting began when the suspect approached Sgt. Sylvia Young, at 52nd and Sansom Streets and opened fire on her as she sat in her vehicle. He fired approximately 18 rounds at the driver's side of Sgt. Young's vehicle, striking her in the left shoulder, arm, and torso area of her body.

Officers responded to the scene, checked on Sgt. Young, and began a foot pursuit after Glenn who fled eastbound on Sansom Street.

Civilians were also injured by gunfire during the suspect’s violent rampage. While the gunman ran after shooting Sgt. Young, he passed the Maximum Level Lounge on the 5100 block of Sansom Street where a the manager, a 42-year-old black male and a barmaid, a 41-year-old black female were in the open doorway of the bar attending to a wheelchair bound patron.

Glenn then turned back and fired approximately five rounds into the open doorway striking the 42-year-old male in both legs and the 41-year-old female in her right ankle. Both are in stable condition at Penn Presbyterian.

Two more civilians were shot as the suspect fired shots at their car, a 2011 Nissan Altima.

A 36-year-old male man and a 25-year-old woman inside the car were both struck, the man in the arm and chest and the woman multiple times in her chest. The woman  succumbed to her injuries at 1:56 a.m., while the man remains in critical condition. 

Glenn then continued eastbound on Sansom Street. Two responding officers in a marked police Ford Explorer responded to the radio call for "assist officer" and were travelling westbound on the 4800 block of Sansom Street when Glenn fired on the officers, striking the hood of their vehicle and driver's side door. The officers were uninjured.

At 48th and Sansom, the suspect entered the alley where he was engaged by the officers including Officer Miller, who suffered gunshot wounds to his hip and leg area, and shot and killed by police. Officer Miller was taken to Penn Presbyterian Hospital and listed in stable condition.

Police Commissioner Richard Ross says the Sgt, Young had been struck a number of times, and some shots may have deflected off of her bulletproof vest. When discussing the circumstances of the attack on Sgt. Young, Commissioner Ross recalled actions taken by Philadelphia officer Jesse Harnett who was forced to lean over the passenger seat when he was ambushed back in January.

Commissioner Ross says as many as four officers discharged their weapons during the incident.

Police say the motive is unknown at this time, but they do believe the incident is an isolated incident. Commissioner Ross says investigators found a note that appeared to be from the suspect that contained anti-police rhetoric.

Glenn was found to be in possession of a note with the heading "Doomed People," which indicated his hatred toward his probation/parole officers and police among other unclear statements.

His firearm, a Ruger Model SR9, 9MM, semi-automatic pistol with obliterated serial numbers was recovered at the scene. The firearm was loaded with fourteen live 9MM rounds. There were empty magazines throughout the scene that Glenn had discarded as he emptied the magazines and re-loaded with spare magazines. 

It was determined that Glenn discharged his weapon at least 51 times during the incident.

The injured officers have been identified as Sgt, Sylvia Young, 46, and UPenn Police Officer Eddie Miller, 56. Sgt. Young is a 19-year veteran of the force, and police say she was on a special assignment Friday night. Officer Miller is a retired Philadelphia Police officer who has been with UPenn Police for two years.

Both officers were rushed to Penn Presbyterian Hospital where they were listed in stable condition. Early Saturday morning Philadelphia Commissioner Ross said both officers were up and speaking.

This is a developing story, please stay with FOX 29 for updates.