Suspect found dead, ending overnight manhunt that stretched from Canton to east Detroit

The man wanted after an overnight crime spree that spanned from Canton to east Detroit has been found dead, Michigan State Police said just before 8 a.m. Wednesday. The suspect had been running from police for nearly 12 hours. 

The suspect was found dead in a neighborhood at Bradford Avenue and Flanders Street, which is near Gratiot Avenue and Outer Drive near the city airport. 

MSP says they don't know yet how the suspect died, and don't have a motive yet for the alleged crimes. Family members have identified the suspect to FOX 2 as Allan Farris.

According to court records, Farris posted bond Monday night after he was charged with Assault with a Dangerous Weapon; and Malicious Destruction of Property in an unrelated situation. He is also on the sex offender registry. 

A manhunt started Tuesday around 9 p.m. in Canton, after police there say a man tried to carjack two women. The search moved to the Plymouth/Northville border shortly after -- and made its way over to east Detroit overnight. 

MSP says they tracked the suspect around 5:30 this morning in the area of Roseberry Avenue and Wilfred Street, which is also near Gratiot and Outer Drive. Police say the suspect tried to carjack an undercover trooper, and the suspect and the trooper shot at each other.

The trooper wasn't hurt and the suspect did not get away with the car. It's not known if the suspect was hit.

The suspect went into a nearby neighborhood, where police had a perimeter set up. A portion of Gratiot Avenue was also closed for part of Wednesday morning. 

The suspect was found dead just a few blocks north of where police had that perimeter set up. 

The suspect is said to have been in the area near the city airport since around 1 or 2 a.m. 

It's believed one of the women the suspect carjacked in Canton was injured by a bullet, but she's expected to be okay. It's also believed the suspect may have kidnapped one of the victims and driven her to the Highland Park area before letting her go. 

Police haven't said yet how they believe the suspect got from Highland Park to east Detroit.