(wjbk) - Dr. Anthony Youn joins us on The Nine to tell us about five simple foods you can swap to make you look younger. You can get his tips by watching the segment in the video player above or by reading below.
1. Substitute almond butter for cream cheese on your bagel. Almond butter is full of mononunsaturated fatty acids (soothing and anti-inflammatory) and protein (building blocks of the skin).
2. Substitute dark chocolate for milk chocolate. Dark chocolate is full of anti-oxidants, but you must consider at least 70% cacao. Anything less than that (especially milk chocolate) has too much sugar to be good for you. For a perfect skin-healthy dessert, combine a square of dark chocolate with a glass of red wine!
3. Substitute whole wheat flour for white flour. White bread is stripped of its fiber, causing it to taste lighter but causes sugar spikes and insulin spikes. This causes inflammation, which can accelerate the aging process. Whole wheat is digested more slowly, so the body isn't exposed to these sugar spikes like with white.
4. Substitute green tea for coffee. Green tea is chock full of polyphenols, some of the most powerful antioxidants. In fact, one study found the antioxidants in green tea were 100 times more effective at neutralizing free radicals than Vitamin C. If you are addicted to coffee, then start slow. Try just one cup of green tea per morning and over the next several weeks gradually switch over.
5. Substitute tomato paste for fresh tomatoes. This is contrary to what most people would think. Cooked tomatoes are actually a better source of the antioxidant lycopene than fresh tomatoes. And it's even better absorbed when it's combined with a little fat since it's fat soluble. So add some olive oil to your pasta sauce and extra sauce to your pizza. It's actually good for your skin!