Backwoods Mustard's takes top prize in hot sauce contest
(WJBK) - David Saterstad from Backwoods Mustard Company knows a thing or two about sauces. He just won first place at the World Hot Sauce Awards in Louisiana, a pretty big win for a small Made in Michigan business like them.
He joined us on The Nine to tell us more about his sauces, and to share his recipe for a honey habanero grill sauce, which you can find below.
You can get more information about Backwoods Mustard at www.backwoodsmustard.com.
2 cups ketchup
1 cup Backwoods Mustard Co. Honey Habanero mustard
1 cup water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
5 tablespoons light brown sugar
5 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1. In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients except mustard.
2. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to simmer.
3. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for one hour.
4. After one hour, remove from the heat,
5. Add 1 cup of Backwoods Mustard Co. Honey Habanero mustard
6. Stir and allow to cool completely, store in the fridge.
Add to pulled pork or use as BBQ sauce or glaze