The long winter and cold that came with it are slowly fading and it's time to focus on the long hours of sunshine and warmth headed our way.
Helping carve a path for those eager to entertain this spring is Chef Kelli Lewton of Two Unique Caterers and Event Planners, who stopped by the Fox2 Kitchen with some of her signature springtime and Easter brunch ideas.
Watch the video above, follow the recipes and click here for more information.
Crisp white base linen, pastel tulips, lemon colored gerberas, greens, ivy and daisy would be a great thinking spring floral presence. Citrus colored accent linen (even stripes or polka dots would be fun) white or clear glass serving pieces, assorted citrus fruit in vases, small bougets of fresh herbs.
MYO Spring Smear
A fun mini version of power toast presented in little vignettes. Base could look like: crostini of many flavors; multi grain, sour dough, pumpernickel, bagel or pita chips, savory or sweet petit pancakes.
- Smashed green spring pea hummus, sea salt & radish
- Nutella, banana & chia sprinkle
- Basil ricotta, heirloom tomatoes & sea salt
- Chopped salmon salad, capers, red onion & dill cream cheese spread
- 2 ¼ cups white vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ¼ teaspoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small carrot, peeled into thin ribbon strips with a vegetable peeler
- 12 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- Bring the vinegar, ¾ cup water, 3 tablespoons salt, the coriander seeds, mustard seeds, sugar, bay leaf, onions, turmeric and pepper flakes to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Reduce the heat, cover and let the brine simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pierce each egg all the way through about 6 times with a cake tester or toothpick or pin.
- Put half the carrots in the bottom of decorative glass bowl or jars with lids.
- Add eggs to bowl/jar and then the remaining carrots. Ladle in enough brine to cover the eggs. Cover jars let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving.
- The eggs will keep, covered by liquid and refrigerated, up to 5 days.
Rainbow Roasted Carrots
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- ¼ cup orange marmalade
- 2 pounds baby carrots (preferably rainbow), tops trimmed
- Juice of three oranges
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped candied pecans
- Blanch Carrots: Place petit carrots in boiling water (then turn down to simmer) for about 3 minutes drain and cool with cold water or ice water.
- Melt 3 tablespoons coconut oil in heavy bottom sauce pan, add juice and honey and stir 1 minute
- Toss blanched carrots in bowl with oil mixture
- Place sparsely on baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees about 20-25 minutes turning as needed. Carrots should start to look caramel in color, sprinkle pecans 5 minutes before carrots are done.
- 1 whole filet of Salmon
- 2 Tb olive oil
- Sprinkle of sea salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup of everything seasoning
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 3 tablespoons dried garlic flakes
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- Season fillet with olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt & pepper.
- Sprinkle everything seasoning generously over the top and drizzle remining tablespoon of olive oil over seasoning.
- Roast Salmon in preheated 375-degree oven for 15-18 minutes until flesh is firm to touch.
For a crisp spring centric cocktail Limoncello will deliver with a big with a citrus splash! Consider featuring a couple cocktails or creating a mix and match bar with; assorted flavored sparking waters, (blood orange, lemon, lime and grapefruit) lemon wheels, oranges, lemon & mint, basil, thyme, blueberries & prosecco.
- 8 lemons
- 750 ml vodka (25 oz.)
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- Zest lemons being sure not to go too deep-you want only the zest, not the white portion of the peel.
- Combine the zest with the vodka in a large jar or pitcher.
- Cover and keep in a dark, cool place for 10 days.
- Strain zest out with a cheesecloth and discard zest.
- Simmer sugar and water in a pan, stirring, until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Allow sugar mixture to cool and add to vodka mixture.
- Keep in refrigerator for up to one month.
- 6 cocktail picks with 3 blueberries
- 6 Lemon, slices
- 6 Thyme
- 16 oz Limoncello
- 12 oz prosecco
- Fill glasses with ice, mix limoncello and prosecco, fill glasses and garnish with; blueberries, thyme.
Spring Fling Sparkle
- 6 slices Lemon
- 6 sprig Mint
- 24 oz Limoncello
- 2 cups sparkling lemon water
- 2 shots Sparkling lemon soda water
- Mix limoncello and soda water, divide into glasses and garnish with mint and lemon.