DETROIT, Mich. - Chef John is in for Chef Bobby today at the Fox 2 Tailgate at Eastern Market. They're gearing up for the game against the Chicago Bears. For more information, visit www.lakelandbanquets.com.
Chicago Style Philly Cheese steak
· Two 8-ounce boneless rib eyes / or New York Strip Steaks
· Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
· 8 ozs of tempura flour
· 2 Cups of frying oil
· 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
· 1 ½ cups of beef stock
· 2 red onions, peeled, halved and sliced thinly
· 2 cups shredded fontinella cheese
· 4 good-quality fresh sub rolls, hinged
· 1 cup mild giardiniera
· 1 jar of McClures pickles
Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat until very hot. Sprinkle both sides of the steaks with salt and pepper. Place the steaks on the hot skillet without overcrowding. Reduce the heat to medium and sear the steaks until well browned, about 4 minutes. Flip the steaks and cook until medium/medium-rare, about 6 more minutes. Set aside, loosely cover with foil and let rest before slicing.
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper and toss in the oil. Sweat the onions until soft and slightly golden in color, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
For the sandwich build: Thinly slice the steaks and trim off excess fat. Return the meat to the skillet over medium heat, in batches if necessary, creating a pile for each sandwich. In a separate pan take your shredded cheese and melt down until cheese becomes a goo.
Add the onions on top of the meat and then over the melted cheese on top of the onions. Add the meat to the sub rolls and add the giardiniera relish. Add fried pickles to top of sandwich. Aujus warmed and used for dipping.
Fried McClures Pickles
Heat fry oil to high heat. Gently toss pickles in tempura batter w/ a little salt & pepper to taste.
Fry pickles to a golden brown.
· 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1/2 cup prechopped onion
· 1 (1/2) diced jalapeno
· 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
· 1 pound mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
· 8 ounces sea scallops
· 8 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp
· 8 ounces of lobster meat
· 8 ounces of calamari
· 1/2 cup clam juice
· 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
· 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
· 2 Cups of White Rice
Heat olive oil in a Cast Iron Skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and jalapeno to pan; sauté for 2 minutes. Add mussels, scallops, lobster meat, calamari and shrimp to pan; sauté for 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup clam juice, parsley, and diced tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until mussels open, and discard any unopened shells. Prepare white rice and serve stew over the top.
Flaming Hot Chocolate
· 6 Cups of Heavy Cream
· 4 Packets of Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate
· 2 Cups of Chocolate Chips
· 1 pint of Baileys Irish Cream
· 2 oz's of 151 liquor
· 1 can of whipped cream or fresh whipped cream
In a sauce pan heat up heavy cream on low heat stir in chocolate chips until melted and blended with constant stirring. Add in swiss miss hot chocolate and continue to stir. In each coffee mug pour 2 oz's of Baileys Irish Cream pour over the warm hot chocolate into the mugs. Top with whipped cream, lightly pour a small cap full of 151 around the cream and ignite.